• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Thumping Feel

  • Thread starter Thread starter WWII HiStOrIaN
  • Start date Start date Apr 7, 2017
W

WWII HiStOrIaN

New Member
Nov 28, 2016
3
0
1
Apr 7, 2017
#1
  • Apr 7, 2017
  • #1
So I was in my 97 GT the other night and it's the 248a package so it has no ABS. I was in a situation where I had to slam on my brakes at 45mph and all four wheels locked for a solid distance. The roads were dry and there was tire smoke but now I can feel a thumping while driving which feels like it's coming from the right rear wheel. I have tires with decent tread on them. I inspected the wheels nothing seems damaged and all my lugs are tight. Did I break something or did I flat spot my tire? It doesn't seem flat spotted from visual inspection but I'm not sure. The thumping is pretty noticable and happens at all speeds.

Thanks,

Keith
 

Neuron

5 Year Member
Nov 6, 2016
859
192
93
Apr 8, 2017
#2
  • Apr 8, 2017
  • #2
Take it off and inspect and if nothing apparent then move to front and try it. Sounds like tire but.......
 
O

Old88Vert

Member
Oct 31, 2017
8
1
13
Oct 31, 2017
#3
  • Oct 31, 2017
  • #3
Hi Keith,

Did you ever figure out what your issue was? I had a slight thumping in my car while rolling slow on the Freeway til I locked them up on the freeway. The next time I drove it I thought there was a piece of wood or something on my tire. It comes and goes but is there everyday. Replaced my diff carrier and all the bearings and rear U-joint with no change. Im thinking it's the AOD now?
 

Mattstang04

15 Year Member
Sep 15, 2006
1,152
144
104
St. Louis, MO
Oct 31, 2017
#4
  • Oct 31, 2017
  • #4
You probably put flat spots in the tires. Its not necessarily something you can see but I've done it too. When the car skid it actually flattened out the parts of the tire that were making contact with the street.

This is really likely to be your problem.
 
O

Old88Vert

Member
Oct 31, 2017
8
1
13
Nov 1, 2017
#5
  • Nov 1, 2017
  • #5
Thanks but the thumping comes and goes as well as intensity. I'd think a flat spot would be very consistent in its appearance.
 

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,319
396
164
Joplin, Missouri
Nov 1, 2017
#6
  • Nov 1, 2017
  • #6
Check the trunk for midgets with baseball bats. Report back results.
 
Reactions: Mattstang04

Neuron

5 Year Member
Nov 6, 2016
859
192
93
Nov 1, 2017
#7
  • Nov 1, 2017
  • #7
Take off wheel and replace with spare or another wheel tire(screw the donut tire I carry a full size spare), drive car. Repeat until noise disappears or done with all four wheels.
 
Reactions: Mattstang04

Mattstang04

15 Year Member
Sep 15, 2006
1,152
144
104
St. Louis, MO
Nov 1, 2017
#8
  • Nov 1, 2017
  • #8
My first post was for the OP. Old88, your situation sounds similar. Tires out of round are worth checking and cheap assurance of a problem before an expensive transmission rebuild or replacement. My 2 cents. Let us know how it goes.
 
O

Old88Vert

Member
Oct 31, 2017
8
1
13
Nov 2, 2017
#9
  • Nov 2, 2017
  • #9
Thanks for advise, I'll have to check but as stated the thumping comes and goes in intensity it's most appearent ~30 mph. It was there before I put new tires on but very slight which changed after the lock up on the freeway. Also the heavy thumping came after I parked it for the weekend and did not thump immediately after the lock up on Friday.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
395
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
2
Resolved Electrical mayhem
  • 2000ElectricGreen
  • Mar 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
384
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 4, 2026
2000ElectricGreen
2
2015 Ecoboost premium performance pack
  • matthewt
  • Jul 30, 2024
  • 2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
12
Views
993
2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk Sep 21, 2024
89ripper
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
346
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
8
Engine Rough idle and aggressive sputtering when accelerating
  • 88vertible
  • Aug 13, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Dec 13, 2025
Jarhead67
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?