ticking coming form....

• Sponsors (?)

exhaust leaks are best identified by low RPM + full throlle runs.... fat chicks nether parts farting = exhaust leak... low audiable tick is the fuel injectors or bad heads

under driver side could this be an a exshast leak? when i let the car idle in my garge i can hear it coming from under my car and not from the egine

I had a tick on the pass. side of engine ; louder under car ; at idle and more noticeable when parked between other cars or a building. I thought it was an exhaust leak or possibly something internal such as a cam follower, etc.

I pulled all the spark plugs and found a loose one on the passenger side - tightened the plug down, and there's no more tick.

HTH.

the nosie is coming from the bellhouseing are and i put my ear on the oil pan and herd nothing but when i put my ear by the bell it can hear it loud also i have put my ear by all the plugs and hear only the injseters going off ? sorry about spell

the nosie is coming from the bellhouseing are and i put my ear on the oil pan and herd nothing but when i put my ear by the bell it can hear it loud also i have put my ear by all the plugs and hear only the injseters going off ? sorry about spell

im resurrecting this thread because i am having the same noise in what seems to be the same location - the bellhousing.

2000 GT stock 5 speed trans. probably stock clutch.

any ideas?

Anytime you hear a NEW ticking sound that you do not remember being there before you NEED TO IMMEDIATELY CHECK THE TORQUE ON YOUR SPARK PLUGS.

If the plugs are good you can then proceed to diagnose and troubleshoot the noise in other ways.

i was afraid someone would say that. however, the sound is not coming from the engine area. i can lift the hood and cant really hear it. under the car (on a lift) its very noticeable. i wouldnt call it loud, but def audible. it sounds like its coming from the bellhousing but im not sure how much sense that makes. the closer i get to the motor, the more the tapping/clicking disappears.

note - noticed it on the 1st startup after we done exhaust work ( o/r x pipe ). still tho, can not find a exhaust leak.

how much of a chore is it to check the plugs? obviously the coils have to come off. anything else? estimated time to check the plugs from hood pop to hood shut? 13 ft lbs, right?

doesnt seem to change with rpms. i can take the freeplay of the of clutch by resting my foot on the pedal and i can eliminate a chirp (tob im assuming) but the tap/click/tick (same noise, dunno which best describes it) is still there. does it in neutral and in gear with or without the clutch depressed. distinctly sounds like its coming from under the car, toward the middle

can a clutch or tob tick?

I was just like you, thought for sure the sound wasn't coming from the engine. I messed with the exhaust for a month on and off. I finally checked the plugs and it was a loose plug on the pass side. Take it from me, check your plugs if you haven't already, it won't take much time to rule it out.

i know you guys are just trying to me help me, but now im worried about the plugs. better to be safe than sorry. going to pick up a set tomorrow at a local parts store. if im going to go to the trouble to get them all checked, might as well put in a fresh set.

motorcraft SP-493 ?

fiveoho:

+1 on checking the plugs. Torque them to spec (I don't remember the number, sorry) but the Haynes manual has the correct range listed.

Throw-out bearing? If the noise is coming from the bellhousing then the TO bearing could be at fault. (Hey, it's been a while but most of my vehicles have been stick cars, lol.)

If the tick is still there after you check/change the plugs and checked the TO bearing, you can get a smoke kit from a safety supply company (maybe the auto supply shop, too) and you can run smoke around each joint in your exhaust. If the smoke puffs away, then you have found a leak.

Good luck and post back with an update.

Chris

fiveoho:

+1 on checking the plugs. Torque them to spec (I don't remember the number, sorry) but the Haynes manual has the correct range listed.

Throw-out bearing? If the noise is coming from the bellhousing then the TO bearing could be at fault. (Hey, it's been a while but most of my vehicles have been stick cars, lol.)

If the tick is still there after you check/change the plugs and checked the TO bearing, you can get a smoke kit from a safety supply company (maybe the auto supply shop, too) and you can run smoke around each joint in your exhaust. If the smoke puffs away, then you have found a leak.

Good luck and post back with an update.

Chris

thats a good idea about the smoke kit, never thought of that. actually plan on replacing the plugs (and seeing if any are loose) tomorrow night. im curious what we find out.

thanks for your help

GOOD NEWS : IT WAS NOT MY PLUGS

however, still really not sure what it is. there def is a ticking coming from transmission area. but im not sure what it could be unless it is clutch related. some say the springs can make a little noise with some wear. im sure its the stock clutch. its not loud, i just notice it. possibly a combination of noisy injectors, something ticking in the tranny area and me being picky. we could not find a exhaust leak but i still think i have a tiny one somewhere.

checked all the plugs to make sure all were tight and thought might as well replace them while we were at it. none were loose but all were original plugs that came in the car. 2 had a gap of more than .070. the others didnt look all that great. has a fresh set now :)