Ticking Noise After PI Swap- Thermostat Housing Crack

TheOdessa1

Jul 9, 2011
So I replaced the plastic with a Dorman unit I bought off Amazon. Installed the unit today and now I hear this loud ticking noise. The car also feels not as strong as well. I feel the ticking noise is coming from the driver side of the car. I believe I can also hear it tick louder as I drive down the road, but I can't tell 100% (can just got tinted so I cannot roll down windows.

I have a few concerns

-Could I have got coolant in the motor? That crap was everywhere. What if I did get a little inside? Could it have messed something up?
-Could the Dorman just be a hunk of junk and I need to go with the Ford Racing unit?

I really don't want to swap this out again. I spent 8 hours doing this swap and I am super bummed right now. No CEL or anything. Car doesn't sound like it's misfiring.

Here is the noise

YouTube - ‪video 2011 07 09 17 41 14‬‏

• Sponsors (?)

I took my sweet, sweet time. Labeling everything and making sure everything was being done right... or so I thought. Just got the car so I was trying to make sure I did it right, but I have the ticking noise now. Sigh

Any ideas?

Re ticking: When you re-assembled the top of the engine did you account for every fastener you removed?

No chance any of them (or anything else) ended up in an intake port while the manifold was off?

Re ticking: When you re-assembled the top of the engine did you account for every fastener you removed?

No chance any of them (or anything else) ended up in an intake port while the manifold was off?

I did. I took my sweet time hense the 8 hour time frame. I labeled everything and made sure everything was accounted for.

I started the car and listed closely and the tick sounds loudest toward the middle of the motor. Could a hairline crack or leak cause the noise? Thinking of buying a can of starting fluid and checking for a leak.