TICKING NOISE IN ENGINE!!

94ragtopGT

Jun 15, 2010
I have a ticking noise coming from the passenger side valve cover. The noise is louder when the engine is cold and changes freqency (faster) when i step on the gas. It almost completely fades away when the engine warms up but can still be heard when driving in between cars. It also only makes the noise when the car is in gear. Any ideas on what it is?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a ticking noise coming from the passenger side valve cover. The noise is louder when the engine is cold and changes freqency (faster) when i step on the gas. It almost completely fades away when the engine warms up but can still be heard when driving in between cars. It also only makes the noise when the car is in gear. Any ideas on what it is?

Leak at the exhaust manifold. :nice: Check flange and then ball and socket for loose bolts or hot air pushing out.

Actually sounds like a stuck lifter. Exhaust leaks tend to be the same cold or hot. Bad lifters tick worse when the engine is cold, because the oil is thick and doesn't get in as well. Try throwing some of that valve quieting stuff in the oil. Or you can replace quart of oil with Dexron 3 on your next oil change.

Kurt

Also, might want to check the pipe between header and egr valve to make sure it is tight and leak free.
Didn't you just get this car from the old lady who never drove it?
Did you change the oil since you bought it. It could be low or the wrong weight.

i just went outside again to listen to it and it is coming from the passenger side valve cover or underneath it closest to the back. At idle in park it sounds more like a bubbling noise with an occasional tick and then when i put it in drive and take off it turns into a constant ticking going faster with the higher rpms.

i actually have the exact same thing going on with my car. pass side tick. i have a strange idle because of my cam shaft but when i bring the idle up the tick becomes steady. if i remove the spark plug wire on the pass rear closest to the tranny the tick stops. i definately have an exhaust leak at my header. i can feel it. im actually interested to see if our problem is the same and see the solution as well.

it actually turned out to be an exhaust leak at the air injector tube. this tube supplies air to the cats to heat them up faster from what im told. either way im getting it fixed on tuesday for under $180.

JJ95GTID - you suggestion was spot on for the issue on my car. There is the nut that came lose on the pipe that attaches to the header which was causing an exhaust leak as well as the source of the ticking sound (caused by vibration) . You saved me a lot of headache and money. Thanks.