Engine "ticking " Noise

cdurbin

5 Year Member
Jul 27, 2012
North Charleston, SC
I can hear a "ticking" noise that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side rear of the engine.
I noticed the other day that one of the very back exhaust manifold bolts was very loose and looked like it was close to falling out so I tightened it up but I still hear the ticking. Do you think I have a warped header flange, some kind of exhaust leak, or something else?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Being that the header bolts were loose, you could have blown a header gasket. It's pretty common. Many people swear by using Ultra Copper RTV instead of regular gaskets. I have not personally tried it but there seems to be good results from it.

My guess is a blown out header gasket too. Replace the gaskets, cover them at both ends with a finger full of the aformentioned Ultra Copper RTV, let it set up a little, then reinstall. Tighten in stages from the center, outward, take it for a good ride, let it sit the night and retorque the bolts in the same sequence in the morning and never look back. :nice:

I've always rubbed a light finger full (a couple of millimeters thick) around each exhaust port on both sides of the gasket. I then let it set up so the silicone has nearly completely hardened, then slide them into place and tighten them down. You can add a little to the header flange itself it you want....just don't get too crazy with the stuff. It'll make a mess and can blow out under pressure just as easily if you use too much of it. You really want to use it to compensate for the little imperfections in the header flange surface, not to replace the gasket itself..

I've always rubbed a light finger full (a couple of millimeters thick) around each exhaust port on both sides of the gasket. I then let it set up so the silicone has nearly completely hardened, then slide them into place and tighten them down. You can add a little to the header flange itself it you want....just don't get too crazy with the stuff. It'll make a mess and can blow out under pressure just as easily if you use too much of it. You really want to use it to compensate for the little imperfections in the header flange surface, not to replace the gasket itself..

One more question and I'll leave you alone:)
Are the header gaskets "standand" or brand specific?
The car has hedman on it now.

I picked up a performance gasket kit and some RTV to do my header gaskets this weekend. I also picked up all new header bolts and some high temp header paint.
I fihure I might as well pull them off and paint them while I'm at it. I also got some of that PB Blaster stuff to help loosen the bolts. I'm just praying that none of them break off or anything like that.