Tilt steering looseness

Rusty67

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 3, 2002
Seattle area, WA
My friend has a tilt steering column in his 68 and there is play in the wheel before any of the steering linkage starts to move. I think it may be due to the bearing (c6tz-3c668) being bad. We haven't taken it appart yet but I was looking at my Ford manual to see what might cause this issue and that bearing is the most likely suspect in my mind. Where can I get his bearing ? A quick google doesn't turn up much other then a PDF from Space Coast Shelby who I have never heard, but might have the part.

Anyone have any other input as to what the problem might be ?

• Sponsors (?)

My friend has a tilt steering column in his 68 and there is play in the wheel before any of the steering linkage starts to move. I think it may be due to the bearing (c6tz-3c668) being bad. We haven't taken it appart yet but I was looking at my Ford manual to see what might cause this issue and that bearing is the most likely suspect in my mind. Where can I get his bearing ? A quick google doesn't turn up much other then a PDF from Space Coast Shelby who I have never heard, but might have the part.

Anyone have any other input as to what the problem might be ?

If it's power steering, it could be any number of reasons. If it's manual, I'd look at the idler arm.

I think you missed what I mean.

If you move the steering wheel, the shaft that connects to the steering box doesn't turn at all until the steering wheel is turned far enough, provably about 1/2". The problem here exists between the steering box and the steering wheel, not after.

BTW, there is a brand new U-joint in place so the problem is not a rag joint.

I recently took apart and refurbished my column and cut and converted it to attach to the rack and pinion, so I am familiar with the non-tilt column, the tilt column is probably pretty similar, u-joints in whatever application(if thats what it uses) are universally sized and there are websites devoted to nothing but u-joints of different sizes, I would dissasemble it and find the u-joint size(use a digital caliper or micrometer) then find one of the same size