Time to sell, need advice

colt65

Founding Member
May 30, 2002
Redondo Beach, CA
So after 15 years of owning, building, restoring, driving, polishing and loving my stang, I have come to the difficult conclusion that it is probably time to part with her. A number of factors are in play leading me to need to part with it, not the least of which is a new little one running around our house (ok, not really running per se). I'm having some serious concern about the whole process of selling it, etc and my focus is finding the right buyer, not just the right price.

So for the group, any thoughts on the best website to list the car? (Stangnet excluded of course)

The mustang is a restomod 65 with a Maier 351W 4sp and 48IDA downdraft webers, fresh red ~10K paint job, sound system, interior, all new electrical, 17s, etc. Anyone in SoCal would have seen this car at the Knotts and Queen Mary shows over the past few years.

• Sponsors (?)

If it were me, I'd go the ebay route. Put it on a long auction (I think vehicles can go for 30 days) and see what happens. Take lots of pics, give honest info and don't get sucked into one of the scams people use on ebay. Ebay is a HUGE market, and leaving it on there as long as possible ensures more people will see it. Buyers are fairly knowledgeable these days and they know quality when they see it. From the description of your car, it must be a top-notch car, so I'd expect top dollar.

I wasn't sure, but I know I've seen RV's have 30-day auctions. Either way, it's bound to reach millions of buyers, all of who will tell their buddies about the neat Mustang they saw on ebay, and someone, somewhere will pay top market dollar for your car. For buyers, there really aren't that many bargains anymore, but for sellers, it's heaven. BTW, this time of year is by far the best time to be selling. People are already spending their tax refund, whether they got it or not. Happy selling!

Think about why you are selling it. Make sure the amount you get for it is worth it.

I can't tell you how many stories I have heard over the years about people who sold their mustangs only to wish later that they had kept them. Of course, if you need the money for the baby, there is not a better reason to sell.

I have been lucky, the times when I needed money, mine was not worth enough to bother selling.

Ain't that the truth. When I sold my '65 fastback in '93 (for $4,200), one of the older guys I work with told me not to. He said, "I know you think you can always get another one someday. That's what I said when I sold my '68 396SS Camaro, but time goes by and someday turns into never". I didn't take his advice and was sorry in 2001 when I wanted another fastback , had to look for 6 months, and then had to lay out $7,200 for a starter car. My '65 was finished and was an A-code, four speed car with a Pony interior, 8,000 RPM Rally Pac, a '57 nine-inch rear with 3:89 gears in a limited slip. It was black with a black interior and sat on 15x7 original American 5 spokes. It was absolutely rust free and I nearly had to give it away since Mustangs in my area weren't exactly sought after. I sold it because I bought a house with a small garage and didn't want my new truck to sit outside. The money was gone fairly quickly and then I had neither the money or the car.
But that's enough of my whining, I have another fastback and I'm happy, but just be sure you're happy with selling it, because sure as the sun will come up tomorrow, there will come a day when you find yourself wishing you still had it!

Thanks for the input, my thinking is I'll go the ebay route since it will reach a good number of people who might be interested. I checked into the pricing, and its not as bad as I remember (not a % of the sale), so that's good.

I agree with zookeeper, I sold my 67 coupe right out of high school and regretted for a long time. luckily I got the chance to get her back last year and had to pay more then I sold it for and it was in worse shape. The kid will love the car in a few years, my 3 year old always wants to ride/sit playin Daddys race car as he calls it.