Timing Cover

66 Tiger

Jul 13, 2003
Virginia
I know, this is kind of a lame thread - But...

When I removed my timing cover this morning I noticed a nice crack leading off from one of the bolt holes. It looks like the PO attempted repair with some RTV.:eek:

I started shopping around for a replacment & have found prices anywhere from $35. all the way up to $200.

My question is: Does anyone have any recomendations on where to purchase & is there really that BIG of a difference in quality between the cheaper priced ones?

I'm not trying to be a "penny pincher" here - I just want to make sure to make a smart purchase... ( and not have to end up buying another one due to fitment issues - or leaks )

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I think NPD sells them as well, and I've always been very happy with the quality of their repro parts. Plus you can always ask the person you're ordering from over the phone, and I've found the guys at NPD to be very honest about any problems others may have had with the part. You could also check ebay for an original, I'll bet it would be cheaper as well, but it's kind of a "buyer beware" thing.

If you go the eBay route, just ask the critical questions: are all the threads good?, are there any cracks? and corrosion? If they don't reply...don't buy.

The aluminum timing covers are very susceptible to stripping threads.

That's true. Also, be aware that the early-style covers were actually the rear cover to the water pump impeller and as such VERY susceptible to electrolosis, not to mention they won't work with a later, more common water pump. I lost a motor on my '65 fastback. The cover developed a leak, dumping all the anti-freeze into the oil pan.

[email protected]
I recently went to a Murray's auto center in Detroit Mi. for some parts ,the guy that waited on me turned out to be from my home town. Any way I got talking to him for a while, turns out he has an old Falcon. They did not have the part I needed but he refered me to melvinsclassicfordparts. Apparently he has found over the years this place to be very reliable and well priced. I emailed them for a price on an exhaust manifold and they are the best price I have found yet. The email address above is the salesman I spoke to. Might be worth looking in to for you.

Denis P.S I am a penny pincher lol

I know, this is kind of a lame thread - But...

When I removed my timing cover this morning I noticed a nice crack leading off from one of the bolt holes. It looks like the PO attempted repair with some RTV.:eek:

I started shopping around for a replacment & have found prices anywhere from $35. all the way up to $200.

My question is: Does anyone have any recomendations on where to purchase & is there really that BIG of a difference in quality between the cheaper priced ones?

I'm not trying to be a "penny pincher" here - I just want to make sure to make a smart purchase... ( and not have to end up buying another one due to fitment issues - or leaks )

Thanks.
What's the casting number on the cover you have now ? There were about 10 different timing covers over the 40 years the small block was produced, some were interchangeable with others, many weren't. 1966, there were two different covers used on small blocks. One used a backing plate on the waterpump, one didn't.

What's the casting number on the cover you have now ? There were about 10 different timing covers over the 40 years the small block was produced, some were interchangeable with others, many weren't. 1966, there were two different covers used on small blocks. One used a backing plate on the waterpump, one didn't.

Casting Numbers:

Timing Cover C4AE - 6059 B ( FoMoCo ) ( Sheffield )

Water Pump 884-2 ( Edelbrock )

After doing some research on Edelbrock's site, I determined that the water pump is for a 65 - 67 289.

Looking at NPD they offer two different covers. One is for the 65 - 67 289 w/ cast in pointer ( which is what I curently have ) & the other is for the 68 - 73 289/302.

If I go with the correct cover ( my engine is a 69 302 ) do you think I will still be able to utilize the water pump that I have, or do I need a different one?

I guess I could just try to keep things simple & order the 65 - 67 cover - at least it would be the proper one for the water pump that I have now & seems to bolt up to the 69 block just fine... ( I'm going in circles here! )

zookeeper
That's true. Also, be aware that the early-style covers were actually the rear cover to the water pump impeller and as such VERY susceptible to electrolosis, not to mention they won't work with a later, more common water pump. I lost a motor on my '65 fastback. The cover developed a leak, dumping all the anti-freeze into the oil pan.

The mating surfaces are extremely pitted where the waterpump attaches to the cover & also where the cover's water outlets attach to the engine. Sounds like I should be more concerned with that - rather then the crack based on your experience!

Sorry to hear about your engine...

Got pics? I had em of several older covers I had a few years back, but they got trashed along with the computer. On the cover that requires the backing plate on the pump, the waterpump area looks like a "hurricane" emblem. :)D OK, to go ahead and laugh now:D ) The engine side doesn't matter, any small block cover will bolt up to any year small block, be it from the first 221's in 62 till the end in 2001.

Got pics? I had em of several older covers I had a few years back, but they got trashed along with the computer. On the cover that requires the backing plate on the pump, the waterpump area looks like a "hurricane" emblem. :)D OK, to go ahead and laugh now:D ) The engine side doesn't matter, any small block cover will bolt up to any year small block, be it from the first 221's in 62 till the end in 2001.

Having just moved from FL ( I've lived there my whole life ) I know exactly what a hurricane emblem looks like...:nice: Living in Louisianna I guess you have seen a few too!

El Hurricane:

DSCF0030.jpg

Heres the back-side of the water pump:

View attachment 409331

What is the " backing-plate " that you are refering to? Do you think I need it with the after-market water pump?

Thanks...

Attachments

• DSCF0030.jpg
    DSCF0030.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 36