Timing with converted 5.0

woodsnake

15 Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Hicksville, NY
So, I haven't been on in forever- a LOT has happened since I was a regular poster. Today's ongoing hassle is trying to get my 68 running. I swapped out the 289 that has NO oil pressure now, once it warms up. That will be a separate thread.
I installed a 5.0 out of a 93 Cougar. I left the front dress the same as the 68- passenger side outlet on the water pump. The engine runs, has about 60 lbs of oil pressure, but I can't give it any gas or else it starts popping like mad out the exhaust.
I pulled out the distributor, and am trying to set my initial timing. The problem is that with the passenger side outlet, I can't see the timing marks while trying to ensure 0 deg and #1. This is really starting to irritate TF out of me. Should be simple enough to at least find #1 and top dead center. The 5.0 timing mark seems to be almost straight up under the water pump when I try and hold the timing pointer that came with the engine in its place, to see how far out I am at the distributor.
Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you keeping the carb too?

Find top dead center and add new timing mark (timing tape) to the harmonic balancer to match 68 timing pointer

Yes, I'm keeping the carb. I've looked at the timing tape but I don't have the tools to find perfect TDC. I already had to cough up for a set of pulley's from CVF racing. Great product, served the purpose and look nice too. I know summit makes a balancer that works perfect ( 3 sets of timing marks) for 5.0 and 351, that has a 4 and 3 bolt pattern. I tried to look at it again, and it says it won't work for a 93 5.0.
I am going to try and fix the 289 that came out, and so all the money I spend to get this motor driving again, takes away from any repairs on the built motor. Plus I am trying to get another engine to the machine shop. My dad used to tell me this is a rich mans game. He was right....

So, I taped a "T" pin to the 0 mark, at TDC. My problem was that my distributor was flawed, and this is why it was backfiring out the back.
Now I can make a mark and use my adjustable timing light to set initial timing.

Reactions: 1 user