Tinted taillights and 3rd brakelight

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Well, I finally got time to finish tinting my taillights and 3rd brakelight....even though it was 28* outside, I decided to let the paint fumes do thier job inside the house...cant say my mom was to happy[8D] (Ignore the tag....its slow....for now[;)] )

Pics def. dont do justice but here goes:

125823.jpg

125824.jpg

125825.jpg

125826.jpg

125829.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Looks good:nice: Is the paint permanent? I would probably go with the tint paint instead of the viynl if I ever tint my taillights. Have you considered spraying your side marker light too?

Looks good:nice: Is the paint permanent? I would probably go with the tint paint instead of the viynl if I ever tint my taillights. Have you considered spraying your side marker light too?

I crawled under the car the other day and attempted to look at how hard they would be to get off and started laughing.....if I can find an easy way to do them I will....I belive with paint thinner or laquer thinner it will come off, but Im not to worried about it

Ya, you would have to take the back bumper off by loosening the nuts in the trunk. Painted tint > Viynl tint.......viynl will show tiny little scratches the first time its wiped on.

looks good dude, like it a lot on your car. :nice:

its permanent though. only way to get it off is by wet sanding them down. trust me i know. mine would NOT come off with any kind of chemical.

and another thing.... its hard to tell in the pics, but do they look a little dull? Mine do with VHT NiteShades. tint sprays seem to always make the lights more hazy and dull looking.

that is the main thing to consider when deciding on the tint spray or the the very glossy over lays that are pricey as hell.

I don't get you. Your user name suggests you are supercharged, but your sig says you're all throttle, no bottle, N/A member whatever, but your avatar refers to nitrous. So what the heck?

looks good dude, like it a lot on your car. :nice:

its permanent though. only way to get it off is by wet sanding them down. trust me i know. mine would NOT come off with any kind of chemical.

and another thing.... its hard to tell in the pics, but do they look a little dull? Mine do with VHT NiteShades. tint sprays seem to always make the lights more hazy and dull looking.

that is the main thing to consider when deciding on the tint spray or the the very glossy over lays that are pricey as hell.

To get rid of the dullness, you can use some enamel based clearcoat. When I tinted mine I sprayed a thin layer of clear on after my last coat of tint. Well after it wasy semi-dry that is....ended up using 3 coats of clear to restore the "shinyness" of the tails.

blownstanggt was just a name I liked when I registered and always dreamed about having a blown mustang.....the nitrous in my avitar was from when I had the Zex kit on my old 91 gt....so thats that :D

as far as the lights being a little dull they are, before I applied my second set of tint on them they were really dull because I didnt use any clear coat, then this time I used some clear and it helped big time, still not like the decals would make it

Did you wax the clear coat afterwards? :shrug:

I don't see why someone hasn't reproduced a set of smoked lenses.

VHT nighshades looks like dull purple primer on every car I have seen in real life. :(

Take some pics in afternoon~dusk light of the clear coated lenses. The first pics you posted look like dull primer.

This guys set turned out ok with 3 coats of clear. :shrug:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36684