• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Tire Pressure After Lowering Car

  • Thread starter Thread starter dlsdj
  • Start date Start date Dec 18, 2003
D

dlsdj

New Member
May 8, 2003
121
0
0
Corpus Christi, TX
Dec 18, 2003
#1
  • Dec 18, 2003
  • #1
I lowered my stang with Steeda Sports and I'm wondering if I should adjust the tire pressure. I run 32-34 all the way around, should I increase the pressure up front and leave the rear as is?
 
R

RacerGT

Founding Member
Jun 28, 2002
2,371
0
0
St. Charles, Missouri
Dec 18, 2003
#2
  • Dec 18, 2003
  • #2
I always run max psi because more pressure = less rolling resistance in the front. I typically have 28-32psi for daily driving in the rear.
 
8

89stang306

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2001
75
0
0
Jacksonville N.C.
Dec 18, 2003
#3
  • Dec 18, 2003
  • #3
Yep, lowering has no effect on what tire pressure you need to run.
 

01BlkGT

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
1,015
0
36
ATX
Dec 18, 2003
#4
  • Dec 18, 2003
  • #4
RacerGT said:
I always run max psi because more pressure = less rolling resistance in the front. I typically have 28-32psi for daily driving in the rear.
Click to expand...

This is a good concept at the track, but not for daily driving. You would actually have less contact area and a harsher ride if you put the tire on max pressure, plus IMO that's kinda unsafe. No you dont have to run different tire pressure when you lower the car. I typically run 33-34lbs on the street for DD.
 

DB96GT

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
385
0
16
AZ
Dec 18, 2003
#5
  • Dec 18, 2003
  • #5
From another thread I posted in:

Forget the 44 psi max. Those numbers indicate that it's a higher quality tire, and you'd only run close to that when road-racing. The goal with tire pressures is to have the same loaded radius on the front and back wheels. That means from the hub to the ground. Since the front of the car weighs more than the rear, that's why you want more pressure in the front than the rear.

I run from 35-36 in the front and 32 in the rear. Yes, I sacrifice a bit of turn-in sharpness by not running higher, but the ride suffers too much if I go any more. I run 32 in the rear to match the radius in the front.

Basically, just start at LEAST with what Ford recommends and add more and more pressure (but not beyond max) until the ride suffers too much. Higher pressure is generally better for the tire anyway since it runs cooler - heat cycling wears out a tire and also makes it harder - less traction.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

C
98 gt fuel pressure issues
  • chasecollier1984
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
145
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 2, 2026
chasecollier1984
C
N
Vibration after new clutch
  • nipple_looker
  • Sep 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
474
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 26, 2026
fasterthangas
F
Resolved 2015 ecoboost pp bumpsteer issue
  • matthewt
  • Aug 1, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
176
2015 - 2023 Specific Tech Aug 3, 2026
fasterthangas
F
H
New here and thanks
  • HoosierD420
  • Aug 30, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
0
Views
102
The Welcome Wagon Aug 30, 2026
HoosierD420
H
Suspension Harsh Ride
  • PonyGTrider
  • Mar 20, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2 3 4
Replies
62
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 11, 2026
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?