Tire Reccomendations for 2006 GT

KAUS

Aug 14, 2005
USA
Hi.....I Tried doing a search but couldn't come up with too much so here goes.....

I have a 2006 GT with about 40,000 miles on it. Love the car and have had zero problems with it, but it's time to replace my tires.

I have the stock baseline 17" painted aluminum wheels.

What I'm looking for:

1. Would like to spend less than $800 for the set, willing to go up to $1000

2. Would like something that will last a while, maybe another 40k miles.

3. I'd prefer something that holds up well against punctures as I do not carry a spare.

4. Weather is not a huge issue because it never snows here and it doesn't even rain that much. I have no problem being extremely cautious when it does.

5. I don't race the car, it is a daily driver with no modifications (except the stereo) so I don't need extreme performance, just something safe and reliable.

Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for all the replies. The car came with Pirelli "p zero nero" p235/55zr17 tires. I still have them on my car.

They seemed to work pretty well, maybe I should just get another set of those. Never had a flat with them in about 2.5 years of driving with rotations every 6-9k miles.

Thanks for all the replies. The car came with Pirelli "p zero nero" p235/55zr17 tires. I still have them on my car.

They seemed to work pretty well, maybe I should just get another set of those. Never had a flat with them in about 2.5 years of driving with rotations every 6-9k miles.

That's what I was going to recommend. If those tires held up that long then I would not consider going with a different brand. Just stick with what works for you and the Pirelli's seem to be just right for you. I should also cost you a lot less than 1000 bucks.

Check out your local craigslist, I see guys selling the entire wheel + tire combo of the stock 17"s NEW takeoffs for $300-500, factory balanced and all. You might catch a deal and have a spare set of wheels or sell your old ones

Check out tirerack.com or discount tires. I have NITTO 450s and I am happy with them. Fusion ZRi might be another good option. According to test-performs very well-low cost.

I have Fuzion ZRi's on my car and I can not with a clear conscience recommend them. When it is cold they are completely useless, I have yet to get any traction from them when the temps fall under 60 degrees. I have been cruising in 2nd and with no clutch kick or anything just light them up in a straight line. I only have a few bolt ons, so there is no reason why they should just let go and they are 255/45/17 on the back. I have been sliding them all over the place on purpose lately trying to kill them so I can get some better tires out back and they are holding up well to that kind of abuse! so I guess I can say one good thing about them.

Go with what you know. With your description of your needs/driving style, you would be a fool to try anything else. You can not beat the stock tires for the money. They are a bargain!

BTW, it sounds like you're taking it too easy on those tires! I'll be lucky to get 32,000 out of mine.

Honestly, for your driving conditions as outlined by you (I drive in your area all the time and live 40 minutes away) You might look in to some new take offs The P Zero is not a terrible tire, for OEM smaller sized stuff. Mine got greasy as they wore to the end,, but most of the tread life they were ok for day to day.

After that... I'd look at the NITTO 555 in a 245 or so,,,,, just a bit wider then stock, fine on a 8.5 wheel, and a nice all around tire.

I really like my 18 bullets and 555's,, but I understand the basic car DD needs,,

I have Fuzion ZRi's on my car and I can not with a clear conscience recommend them. When it is cold they are completely useless, I have yet to get any traction from them when the temps fall under 60 degrees. I have been cruising in 2nd and with no clutch kick or anything just light them up in a straight line. I only have a few bolt ons, so there is no reason why they should just let go and they are 255/45/17 on the back. I have been sliding them all over the place on purpose lately trying to kill them so I can get some better tires out back and they are holding up well to that kind of abuse! so I guess I can say one good thing about them.
Thanks for the info. After reading tire test online, the Fuzion's seemed to score pretty well, but I will take your word for it and stay way from the Fuzion's

Wow, if I had the benefit of living in an area with those type of temps, i would be running z-rated tires all year. I'm waiting for it to warm up so I can finally even put z-rated tires on. the stock p-zeros are good for an all-season, but lets be honest, they're no summer tire.

That's what I was going to recommend. If those tires held up that long then I would not consider going with a different brand. Just stick with what works for you and the Pirelli's seem to be just right for you. I should also cost you a lot less than 1000 bucks.

Get them. It cost me 300 bucks mounted and everything for my car when I got 2 new rear tires at discount tire.