Title Help

Anyone have any experience titling a car in FL when the car originally never had a title? I bought a car in Georgia when the car was made in 72, the state had an option of getting a vehicle without a title. I live in Florida which requires a title even on vehicles 30 years or older. I have a bill of sale but the lady at the DMV said I needed at least the last registration. I found the original owner and he is unfortunately deceased and I cannot get in contact with whoever he left his estate to. So basically I have a bill of sale and no paperwork. Are there any people out here that have found a good workaround to this? I thought about just driving it to GA and registering it but I was wondering if anyone had any tricks up their sleeve.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

FWIW, getting a title in Georgia when you never had one in your name is next to impossible. You can get an ownership document from another state (like Vermont) which is a non-titling jurisdiction and the take that to your stage for a title. It’s like laundering a title in a - legal - way. I picked up a 1966 for an overseas customer and I am learning the ins and outs of this process. Can’t argue with the deal I got on the car though.

Attachments

• 03595A2D-C6A5-4E95-AEAA-A81174F0DDBC.jpeg
    03595A2D-C6A5-4E95-AEAA-A81174F0DDBC.jpeg
    408 KB · Views: 101
FWIW, getting a title in Georgia when you never had one in your name is next to impossible. You can get an ownership document from another state (like Vermont) which is a non-titling jurisdiction and the take that to your stage for a title. It’s like laundering a title in a - legal - way. I picked up a 1966 for an overseas customer and I am learning the ins and outs of this process. Can’t argue with the deal I got on the car though.
Is the Vermont loophole still around? I couldn't find any info on whether or not it still exists

What you pay for the bond is only a percentage of that 2X Nada value. Plus, the Nada value will be according to what the value of the car is now, not restored value. I live in NC and I understand that Florida rules may be a little different. A few years ago I went through the bond process to get a title for a 55 Chevy I have and I think the whole deal costed less than $300.

What you pay for the bond is only a percentage of that 2X Nada value. Plus, the Nada value will be according to what the value of the car is now, not restored value. I live in NC and I understand that Florida rules may be a little different. A few years ago I went through the bond process to get a title for a 55 Chevy I have and I think the whole deal costed less than $300.
I spoke with the dmv in Georgia and they told me to send them this form to state that it's not a titled vehicle and that should work I think they might be sending me a copy of the registration..wel that's what I got from the conversation. So if Florida does accept that it'd be awesome.. if not I'm just gonna get a bonded title.. the restoration is pretty much done aside from a few upgrades and minor body work.. I've spent the last three months doing the interior and getting it running and driving.. I know North Carolina is hard on people trying to get a title. Who did you get your surety bond through?

Reactions: 1 user