TOB, clutch replacement questions

Josh94gt

May 10, 2003
Gilbert, AZ
I hear a whirring sound when I depress my clutch that goes away when I release the clutch pedal. I'm pretty sure it's the TOB based on my search of other threads here. The sound is most noticeable in the morning after the car has been sitting all night and goes away about 90% at the end of my 40 minute commute to work. The clutch still feels the same as the day I got it 40K miles ago. I am not sure if the clutch has ever been replaced (probably not - I am the 2nd owner and my uncle had it before and took immaculate care of it).

Should I have the clutch replaced also? Car has about 106K miles.

Mostly stock, recommendations for a clutch kit? Any other parts that are must-haves or would be a REALLY good idea to have?

Resurface flywheel or get a new one?

I don't want to put much money into the car right now (as little as possible, really) because I don't have a lot of cash right now and I am not sure how long I intend to keep the car (at least another year though).

Does anyone know of a good shop in Phoenix metro area? I got an estimate from a Firestone service center that I have taken the car to before and they quoted the following:

$289 for the clutch kit

$139 for the flywheel

$405 labor

This seems really high, although the tech mentioned that the clutch kit is better than stock (I cannot remember the brand, and he has not called me back yet today, maybe it started with an "L" ?).

Advice, opinions, what would you do's are welcome!

-Josh

• Sponsors (?)

$405 sounds a bit high on labor but last time I checked it was about $300 in my area and that was 5 yrs ago. Also I would recommend you get a clutch kit from summit or jegs as that would be your cheapest route, you can also get a new flywheel from them or you can resurface your current one. That will prolly be cheapest. But you know, if the whirring sound is light and not too annoying and the the clutch is ok I would just wait till you need a new clutch. Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable by lifting the brake pedal, that could help assuming you have the stock clutch quadrant. If the car is stock check your owners manual theres directions in there for adjusting the clutch.