Too much fuel ? 1992 5.0l

92fox50

Sep 21, 2019
Canada
Hi all, i just picked up a 92 fox 5.0 5 speed , and it was running pretty good until I came up to a stop light after 30 mins of driving and it all of the sudden started bogging, running really rough, and then eventually died and i couldnt get it going again. It was almost like it was running out of gas , but i filled it and it was still dead. I waited and hour and tried again , it fired but after 20 seconds of running it was doing the same thing. I think somehow its getting wayyyy to much fuel and its flooding itself, becuase i can smell raw gas , and i have an afr gauge in the car and when i try to give it any gas it bogs really bad and the afr gauge goes off the chart. I havent really touched anything yet, so if anyone has any ideas as to what it could be please let me know . Maybe its a common issue ? Thanks , Anton

• Sponsors (?)

Check or replace the Thin Film Ignition Module (TFI). Pull the vacuum line off of the fuel regulator and see if it smells like gas.

After that, I would run Jrichker's Surging Idle checklist. You will find it in the "Useful Technical Index" thread in the Fox Mustang Technical Section.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Check or replace the Thin Film Ignition Module (TFI). Pull the vacuum line off of the fuel regulator and see if it smells like gas.

After that, I would run Jrichker's Surging Idle checklist. You will find it in the "Useful Technical Index" thread in the Fox Mustang Technical Section.
Some help to find said checklist....
Surging Idle Checklist.

Ok so progress, the car now "runs" but it idles really bad and sounds like its missing. When i try to give it any sort of gas it dies. Ive checked all the obvious things like plug wires and connections, i cant find anything of significance. Any thoughts on what that could be ? Thanks , Anton

Ok so progress, the car now "runs" but it idles really bad and sounds like its missing. When i try to give it any sort of gas it dies. Ive checked all the obvious things like plug wires and connections, i cant find anything of significance. Any thoughts on what that could be ? Thanks , Anton
Do the checklist and dump the computer codes as instructed in it...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Alright so ive been messing with this thing alot now and havent made much progress. I followed the cranks ok but wont start checklist and have kind of hit a dead end. So far ive tested the fuel system, (40 psi when i tested it with the tester and the injectors flash when i hook up a noid light) I tested the tfi with a ford rontuda on car tester and that tested good. Ive replaced the coil with a new stock one so thats good. I also replaced the cap and rotor just for the fun of it. After alot of testing ive come to the conclusion that spark is very intermittent on cylinders 1, 5, 6, 7, 8. When i test for spark on those its very intermittent and when i try to start the car, it burps , but only the manifold tubes for cylinders 2, 3, 4 are hot . Not sure what to do with this one, timing issue is definite but i just dont know where to go. Thanks , Anton

Be sure your firing order is correct. Make sure the distributor is in the right place, tdc and the rotor is at #1. Make sure the (I think it's called) the sutter wheel (?) Does not have trash on the ends (the parts that stick out) and check the distributor for excessive play side to side or up and down.
i tried to look at your distributor placement in the video. It looks wrong.
sure sounds like a timing/firing order problem.

Be sure your firing order is correct. Make sure the distributor is in the right place, tdc and the rotor is at #1. Make sure the (I think it's called) the sutter wheel (?) Does not have trash on the ends (the parts that stick out) and check the distributor for excessive play side to side or up and down.
i tried to look at your distributor placement in the video. It looks wrong.
sure sounds like a timing/firing order problem.

I followed the 5.0l HO firing order and made sure its right , and the inside of the distributer is pretty clean and free of dust and there is very very minimal play in the shaft. I just now put the engine at tdc at cylinder 1 and the rotor lines up. I must be missing something but I cant find what. Maybe the tfi is not sending the proper signal to the coil ? Idk could be a number of other things.

I know on the checklist it says that a computer could be problematic for it to start, but could it really cause this intermittent spark issue and cause it not to start ? I know the computer is getting power becuase i did the computer power test suggested on the test. Any thoughts? Thanks , Anton

When was the last time the plugs/wires were changed? Had anyone messed with any of the wires before the issue started? I had a similar issue where I was messing with the car a lot and had recently changed the plugs. Turned out at some point in my monkeying around I had a couple of loose wires and had cracked a plug. Got that straightened out and the problem went away. I was just drive along and it just started running like poo. Had me pulling my hair out.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all of your feedback. I tested the coul differently this time. I put a test light on coil negative and a spark tester on the coil wire to the distributor and cranked. The test showed that the coil is firing intermittently. When i crank and it burps is exacltly when the coil is fired. So somehow the coil is not getting fired properly/enough. Bad TFI? I just changed it with a new one but i soppose it could be bad ? Thanks Anton

Sounds like the PIP in the distributor. You have to pull the distributor to replace it. It's not that hard to do, but make sure to do a little research before you yank it out. If you put it in wrong and get it out of time it will be more work to get it back right. Lots of threads on here detailing the job.