toploader problem

• Sponsors (?)

you should be able to put it in gear w/ or w/o the clutch being engaged or even installed. those trannys have linkage on the side correct? i would make sure thats not fugged up.

LUCAFU1 said:
you should be able to put it in gear w/ or w/o the clutch being engaged or even installed. those trannys have linkage on the side correct? i would make sure thats not fugged up.
Ditto, but occasionally you'll have a gear that it won't go in without the clutch being engaged when the trans is in the car. He may have it hung up between 1st and reverse. If that's the case, put it all the way into reverse, then come out of it and it should be free.

My toploaded 4 speed once got stuck in second gear. The clutch would disengage the engine, but it wouldn't come out of second gear. Playing with the linkage wouldn't release it either. I ended up having the trans rebuilt.

More recently, my clutch wouldn't allow me to shift into any gear easily AFTER coming to a stop. This was a clutch issue which a new Centerforce II resolved. Good luck.