Towing a small Uhaul trailer with my GT...suicide?

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. I am currently living in Somerset, MA, and in about 3 weeks I am moving to San Diego, CA for a job. Basically, I have a TV, surround sound system, computer, clothes, and other personal items to move. No furniture. I can't afford to rent a truck and car carrier, so what I am thinking is that I could have a hitch mounted to the stang and then tow a 5'x8' single axle U-haul trailer behind it. I know how people feel about hitches on Mustangs, so let's keep the useless trash talk out of this, because I am serious. I have to take the car, I have to take my stuff, I have to drive the car, so basically I need to know if I'm going to break anything by towing the small trailer. The car is a 5 speed with the mods listed in the siggy. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

It should be doable - you will also be shocked at how much stuff you can fit inside the car as well.

Out of curiosity, could you work out a relocation allowance with your company that will cover a moving van? I used to live in MA as well, and when I was relocated to Georgia, I didn't have to pay a dime. If I were you, I would contact the human resources department and discuss it with them

They're willing to cover $600 or so, but I need that to pay back the money I borrowed to survive on for the last two months after losing my last job. I don't plan on driving faster than 65ish as I don't need out of state tickets on the way there. I just had full length subframes welded in to help the chassis, and I just installed brand new Summit Ultimate performance brake rotors with powerstop pads to help the braking. With my hopped up suspension and wider rear tires that grip well, I'm hoping I'll do OK. As far as stuff in the car: the back seat will have the day-to-day stuff for my trip, but the trunk is pretty well taken up with my fire extinguisher and subwoofer. Thanks for the input so far guys.

You should be ok. Keep your speed down that way the trl won't own you. Its not the power to pull that will be the problem, its the fact that the trl will likely out weigh your car.... Good luck in your new job!

Uhaul lists the 5x8 as 900lbs empty. I imagine close to 600lbs worth of stuff will go in it, again, thankfully I am not moving furinture. Mostly totes full of my and my fiance's clothes, my TV, a few floor speakers, my computer, and our personal junk along with the kitchen stuff we have.

My friend also pulls 2 jet bikes with his stang. I'm thinking for safety you should try not to exceed 1500lbs total weight.

Have you priced out shipping the stuff freight or UPS?
Might be cheaper then hitch/trailer rental.