Trailering recommendations

This past August I trailered my non airconditioned 64.5 Coupe to Sturgis Mustang Ralley (great time btw) . Used a friends flatbed and he tied car down using chain binders. I know chain binders are the preferred method, but he struggled to find points to attach or wrap a chain that did not end up rubbing on a brake line or other car component. Took us awhile before we come up with something satisfactory. I've been looking at wheel nets and wondering what you all think. What are your recommendations for trailering on a flatbed ?

• Sponsors (?)

This past August I trailered my non airconditioned 64.5 Coupe to Sturgis Mustang Ralley (great time btw) . Used a friends flatbed and he tied car down using chain binders. I know chain binders are the preferred method, but he struggled to find points to attach or wrap a chain that did not end up rubbing on a brake line or other car component. Took us awhile before we come up with something satisfactory. I've been looking at wheel nets and wondering what you all think. What are your recommendations for trailering on a flatbed ?
I would absolutely recommend wheel nets or some other method that keeps the car in place without restricting suspension travel. Chaining the car down tight with hooks through or around components damages the car. When the trailer is bouncing around behind the tow vehicle (and it will, trailer suspensions are usually rudimentary at best on all but the highest-end trailers) the car will want to bounce with it. If you have hooks into the subframe, wrapped around suspension, wrapped around the axle, etc, this can lead to brake line damage, suspension damage, or even subframe or body damage.

U-haul recommends the wheel-net method here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5vPIZa_Ak&feature=emb_logo

This gentleman shows how to use slings around the control arms and/or axle:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJwDWlzniJM

Both methods are correct and safe, and both achieve the desired result, the car isn't going anywhere, and it's suspension can move, allowing it to absorb the bumps in the road the trailer doesn't.

Reactions: 1 user
Wheel straps work great....if its not stock though, at some point in the build its worth considering adding front tie downs to match the rear ones(why they came factory with rear tie downs but not front ones I will never know)