• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Tranny Is Hard To Put In Gear From Stop

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fordman2011
  • Start date Start date Sep 30, 2013
F

Fordman2011

New Member
Sep 30, 2013
4
0
2
Georgia
Sep 30, 2013
#1
  • Sep 30, 2013
  • #1
Howdy everyone, im new around here but not new to the cars but this is my first post anyways.

I have a real stumper here. A few weeks ago my transmission got really hard to shift into any gear if I was sitting still while the car was running. if I turned the car off I could get into gear no problem then once I was going the shifts felt normal. I decided to change the fluid and see if that would help and I switched to penzoil syncromax. It worked wonders. Shifts were smooth and crisp and it was still a little difficult to get into gear but much better than before. A few weeks ago it began to get a little more difficult to get into gear about 4 days ago and today it is nearly impossible unless the car is rolling. There is no grinding in any gear and nothing gets hot and my fluid levels are fine. I decided to do a little troubleshooting and adjusted my clutch cable properly and then I jacked the rearend up and discovered that my wheels spin when in gear with the clutch pedal pressed. The clutch still feels fine and grips normally and is a centerforce dual friction.

Any advice would help. Im thinking maybe my syncros are bad but I really really hope not. Thanks in advance for any help


(PS) the car has a t-45 im assuming because the prior owner grenaded the tranny and grabbed one out of the junkyard instead of a 3650. The car has 160k on it and I have owned it since it was at 112k.
 
8

8111870

New Member
Feb 25, 2008
22
1
4
Oct 2, 2013
#2
  • Oct 2, 2013
  • #2
how did you try adjusting the cable?
cable may have stretched , or is binding somewhere, not allowing full disengagement.
try adjusting again , see if it makes any difference.
also what year is the car?
 

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 2, 2003
8,474
1,463
223
Sea of Tranquility
Oct 4, 2013
#3
  • Oct 4, 2013
  • #3
My experience with synchros was it would grind going into gear but it would go. Bearings would cause it to pop out of gear. You are having issues with all gears?
 

joshjwc9

Active Member
Jun 12, 2006
1,095
17
39
Palm Harbor, FL
Oct 5, 2013
#4
  • Oct 5, 2013
  • #4
Is it an adjustable cable? If so, order a OEM one from MM with their kit.

If it is the OEM one check the routing the cable follows, or if it is binding.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

00 4.6L V8 new clutch won’t go into gear when on?
  • Timboslice
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
178
The Welcome Wagon Aug 21, 2026
Noobz347
3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
Drivetrain Broken clutch cable- what it looks like
  • JulianR
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
634
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 10, 2026
gkomo
S
Drivetrain Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd issue
  • Scott_S
  • Apr 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
955
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 14, 2026
Mindseye007
S
idles perfect then jolts and cuts out when put into Reverse or Drive.
  • shanesstangs
  • Mar 12, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
303
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 27, 2026
General karthief
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?