Transmission not working after I was ran off the road

I'm pretty new to car repair but I've been working on my uncle's 1966 mustang he gave to me for the past year now. I've done everything myself and got it running great after sitting in a garage for 15 years. However, a couple weeks ago i was ran off the road by a guy who was speeding and almost hit me. After I veered off the road my transmission was going in and out of gear and I barely made it home. The next day I tried to drive it and it wouldnt get into gear at all. I'm really hoping it's a simple fix because I find It hard to belive that just veering off the road would completely total my engine. But as I said I am very new to car repair and was hoping some one out there may have some ideas of what could be wrong. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Its probably a simple fix . Your going to have to safely jack it up . With jack stands and have somebody shift it and see whats going on. I would say a pin is coming out or something to that affect.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Unless you hit something and busted the transmission pan, letting all the fluid out, it shouldn't do that. I think you would have noticed that! Get the car on stands. Then follow the shifter linkage. Look for anything that might have came loose. The linkage hooks up to the drivers side of the transmission if I remember right. Something probably came loose.

Does the shifter seem the same as it always has or is it easier to shift?