transmission

can you guys help me figure out what transmission is in my 2002 mustang gt. Where you bolt on the short shifter to the transmission I noticed it was shorter than the t45 transmission. it is literally a square not a rectangle to bolt the shifter on. I came across the only transmission that looks like mine on the internet and it's a t5 or s10 which is blowing my mind please help!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

T5 most likely.

My son and I are swapping out his AOD with a T5 in his 01

When I get home tonight I will take a picture of the shifter handle where it attaches to see if it matches up to yours.

In this post, I have a picture of my T5 with a Tri-Axe on it. But if the one you are talking about is stock it wont match up.
2020-January-22-Louise #2.jpg

GOOGLE SAYS:

People also ask
What manual transmission is in a 2002 Mustang GT?
The 2002 Mustang featured the same engine and transmission options as the 2001 Mustang. The V6 was still an overhead valve configuration and the GT was a single overhead cam engine configuration. The two manual transmissions that were available were the T5 and the TR-3650, and the automatic transmission was the 4R70W.

This is the one I pulled from an 01 at the Pull-A-Part that will go in my sons car.
T5.jpg

Last edited:
How do I tell the Difference between the T5 and the TR-3650?

The easiest way to tell the difference is to look for the drain plug. The T-5 (T-45) transmission has the drain plug on the passenger side of the transmission case. The TR3650 transmission has the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission case, pointing straight down towards the ground.

I believe that this information will actually give you what you need.

1. Yes, you do have a Manual Trans
  2. Get it up on some ramps, lift, or jack stands
  3. Look for that Drain Plug
  4. Passenger Side Drain = T5 (probabaly a World Class T5) (T5 can handle about 300Ftlbs of torque )
  5. Bottom Drain = TR3650 (estimated torque rating of about 525 ft/lbs and somewhere around 600 HP)
While down there, Take a Picture and post it here please....... Googling has wore me out. I need to get my fingers to "Soak in Cider" now for relief

Last edited:
A 2002 GT will have a Tremec T-3650 from the factory. This started in mid 2001.

Of course, who's to say the trans wasn't swapped to something else in the 18 years since the car was made. SOme pics of the shifter base? The 3650 is a shorter rectangle compared to the T5, but it's still clearly a rectangle

The T56 magnum is more square, but you would know you had a 6-spd

Reactions: 1 user