Tremec 3550 4.10's Is this a solution?

NewToFord

Oct 7, 2008
CT
Ok I've been searching and cannot find an answer. I have a 93 Mustang with a Tremec 3550 and 4.10's. I bought the "Temporary" Chrysler speedo gear from D and D transmissions and it ate it right up. I called them and they told me they no longer make the gear to change in the trans. So is there a fix, or something? I have heard of sppedo gear adapter. Is there a certain one for this combination? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The stock range of speedo gears work correctly with a limited range of tire sizes. The 23 tooth white gear works good for some guys, but self destructs in a few months for others.

See Gear Ratio Calc for more help

Check to see if there is a speedometer shop in your area. If there is, ask about the Stewart-Warner speedometer gearbox. I believe it is either a 777 Series Drive Joint Kits and Parts or 666 Series Drive Joint Kits and Parts. It is a small gear box that fits between the speedo pickup gear on the transmission and the speedometer. It has quick change gears that allow you to choose almost any tire size and rear end gear ratio you want. This will allow you to get the accuracy within 1%-3%. The drawback is that it isn't cheap.

ratios.jpg

See http://www.gaugeguys.com/speedcorrect.htm for more info.

Thanks for the help. I contacted a speedo shop and they told me to count the stock speedo gear teeth, output shaft teeth and my tire width. with these three items they can make me up a box.