Tremec TKO 600 ???

I just installled this TKO 600 with a aluminum flywheel and ceramic puck clutch. The output shaft has way too much backlash in my opinion. When coasting the noise is annoying. My rear end is fine and I have a new aluminum driveshaft. I did a google search and found a video in utube of someone turning their driveshaft back and forth demostrating the play in his TKO 600.

Is this the nature of theses or is there something wrong here?

The shifter does shift smoothly - I'm going to get another shifter for it.

• Sponsors (?)

I havn't noticed anything with my TKO600 yet. I just watched that video and there is definately something wrong with that trans. These transmissions are extremely sensitive to breakin so drive it nice and easy for 1-2k miles so all the brass synchros mate nicely. Also what fluid are you using. The TKO requires GM synchromesh(great stuff). As far as a shifter recommendation I had an MGW in my T5 which I loved. I wouldn't hesitate to get one for the tko600 but 200 bucks has to fall in my lap first.
Kevin

I haven't really had any issues with my 600.
For the shifter if you are on a budget you can get the stops plate from Pro-motion.
It's like $80.
A misconception is that the internal stops on the tko are good enough, but if they do break off, they fall into the trans, and i'm sure you know how bad that is.

wow. maybe you have a problem then. i had jut the oposite happen. my stock t5 w/ only 65k miles on it had the backlash you talk about and the installation of my tko 600 fixed that right up and brung a huge smle to my face. maybe you should send it back. Are you sure the backlash isnt coming from your diff?

I got the car up in the air and started it up and put it in gear and looked over the drive line. My transmission to driveshaft isn't parallel. That front u joint isn't running smooth at all. I'm thinking that may be my problem more the the backlash. To correct the angle the trans needs to go up or motor down. The TKO only could go up another 1/4" before it contacts the tunnel. I have a QA1 k member and I have standard replacement motor mounts from Auto Zone made by Anchor.

Do they make some low rise motor mounts? That would be the very easy to change them out.

I had my tko-600 installed twice, first time all the angles where off and I got bad viberations.
So I gathered information and had it reinstalled ,and we used a ajustable trany crossmember
to get the correct angle ,I also used a drive shaft alum that I got ballaced, ajusted the pinion angle . But guess what still had bad vibrations under hard acceleration . I have all poly mounts including a qa1 as well . Not happy, is this normal and does your's viberate as well ?

I cheated and bought an HPM crossmember. It has the sn95 style frame mounts so there isn't any rubber on the ends and it relocated the mount in the right spot for the TKO. It put me back about 100 bucks but I feel a lot more comfortable with the solid setup as opposed to tack welding what I think is the right spot.
Kevin

I had my tko-600 installed twice, first time all the angles where off and I got bad viberations.
So I gathered information and had it reinstalled ,and we used a ajustable trany crossmember
to get the correct angle ,I also used a drive shaft alum that I got ballaced, ajusted the pinion angle . But guess what still had bad vibrations under hard acceleration . I have all poly mounts including a qa1 as well . Not happy, is this normal and does your's viberate as well ?

I just have noise when coasting coming from the driveline. It the free play in the driveline banging back and forth from the rear to the tranny. I hope if I get the drive shaft angle corrected it will disappear.

I've had none of these issues with my 600. It's an auto to manual conversion. I killed the first T-5 I put in it and then went with the TKO. No vibrations and it shifts nice and smooth. Car has new Energy Suspension motor and trans mounts. I ground off the spot welds on the manual crossmember to push it further back to mount the trans and I have a Ford racing aluminum driveshaft and the dog bone has been removed. I guess I'm lucky. though I do have the entire rear out of the car right now so hopefully when it all goes back together I'm still ok.