Tried "Rolling Crank" in wrong gear, major issues! Please Help!

lptheory96

Founding Member
Aug 10, 2002
Birmingham, Alabama
Please read this and help me diagnose what I screwed up. ANY thought would be appreciated.

My Car:
2004 Mustang GT 4.6L

What Had Happened Was:
Car Battery Died, So as I ALWAYS do with MANUAL transmission I decided to do a rolling crank. (Where you drop the clutch while the car is rolling). Unfortunately I am a retard and forgot that since I was rolling backwards that I should "probably" put it in Reverse and not 1st. Sigh... After I dropped the clutch tires screeched and smoke came from my passenger side hood. Basically it sounded like hell and did everything BUT crank. After realizing my mistake I put it in the correct gear and start the car.

The Aftermath:
When the car cranked back up, it was stuck at 3000RPM. Jumping to 3400rpm then back down to 3000rpm randomly. I had to get home so I drove it home. Redlights were hell and everyone was looking at me because the car was so loud. When I got on the interstate it was like the car was on cruise control... I never had to touch the gas because the throttle was stuck at 3k RPM.

WHAT I DID:
I went to the obviouse conclusion that I ran my engine backwards and blew stuff in my intake...Attached to my intake is the Idler control. So I took off my idler control and cleaned it out to where it was almost like new... The plunger in it moved freely... I reinstalled it. Then I went and got a new battery which was the initial problem. Installed new battery (resetting the Computer, hopefully.) and cranked the bad boy up. SUCCESS! It cranked and stayed at a constant 1000 ISH rpm... I thought my pain was over but No No No. I turned on the air because it was Hot. I am not sure what else I have screwed up but now my A/C is not blowing cold air. I have already checked the controls... BUT I did notice this.... When I turned my A/C on the RPMS shifted between like 1200 and 900 rpm back and forward... When I looked under the hood the belt adjuster was moving back and forward every time the RPMS changed.

My Best Guess?: I screwed up the a/c compressor as well and the belt adjuster is trying to turn the difficult to turn compressor? or something? im no mechanic by no means but im in Love with mustangs and always have been. im 25 and cant afford much repair work so PLEASE try and help me out with your knowledge...thanks.... :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

The tensioner is designed to flex with additional load placed on it. The A/C compressor creates a noticeable load on the accessory belt, and that's likely the reason it was flexing like that.

RPM's will normally fluctuate as the A/C compressor cycles on and off as well. As far as it not blowing cold air, when's the last time you noticed it blowing cold? If it was right before this happened, then there's an obvious relation.