Troubleshooting help.

El Horsepower

New Member
Jul 27, 2007
15
0
0
Well, I am digging deeper and deeper into my car trying to fix everything I can. I appreciate all the support from everyone! Anyways, I saw a few things yesterday and was wondering if y'all could explain it to me!

rwpfvd.webp



1. Why is this hose doing this? Is it bad? It gets fully inflated once the engine is hot but it almost feels like its about to explode when i touch it then.

2. What the heck is this thing? I couldn't find anything about it on google or my haynes manual.
zjb8yd.webp


3. There is a broken hose back here. What is it? What is it doing to my car while it is like this? Here are more specific pictures: View attachment 329138
2qntj6a.webp
 
So i could use clear hose? Advance Auto Parts didn't have anything, and home depot only had clear hose of the same size. I imagine I would have to wrap it in something to protect it from heat. BTW, what exactly is the thing I'm replacing hosing for?
 
The broken vac line item is the purge hose for the EVAP. Simply stated, it's the line running from the charcoal cannister to the purge solenoid. The cannister is inside your passenger fender (just under where the antenna is) and stores fuel vapor. The computer opens the purge solenoid (the black thing in the pic right next to the bad line) and allows the cannister's vapors to be introduced into the intake for reburn. It's a totally closed system (or should be).

Try to get a fuel resistant hose if you can. I'd replace the entire run from the charcoal cannister to the purge solenoid. And then the piece from the solenoid to the intake.
 
and to get to the charcol canister you have to take off the pass side front tire Then the black splash guard, then you can unbolt the charcol canister for easy access. I had to replace both lines since age and gas made them very brittle.
 
The broken vac line item is the purge hose for the EVAP. Simply stated, it's the line running from the charcoal cannister to the purge solenoid. The cannister is inside your passenger fender (just under where the antenna is) and stores fuel vapor. The computer opens the purge solenoid (the black thing in the pic right next to the bad line) and allows the cannister's vapors to be introduced into the intake for reburn. It's a totally closed system (or should be).

Try to get a fuel resistant hose if you can. I'd replace the entire run from the charcoal cannister to the purge solenoid. And then the piece from the solenoid to the intake.

Could this be why my gas mileage is so bad? Since this isn't working right now?
 
Could this be why my gas mileage is so bad? Since this isn't working right now?

The EVAP circuit richens the mixture up at cruise and idle (when the solenoid opens) but it's not enough to be meaningful. The bigger issue can be the vac leak created if the line rots (esp the line from the intake to the solenoid). A vac leak could hose things up enough to affect mileage notably.