Trying to help a friend ,V6 cranks but wont start

2002BLGT

Dec 18, 2003
Bedford VA
He thought the fuel pump went south so he has replaced it , the ECM and the module up next to the radiator , fuel pump will not turn on when you turn the key switch , I am beginning to wonder if the crank sensor , coil pack or something else could cause the pump not to turn on since the car just died on him and wont crank back , I am not sure how the fuel system on these cars operate but I know on some GM cars if the crank sensor goes bad it will not run the fuel system so that you dont sit and crank the engine over and over and flood the cylinders with fuel , anybody that knows or has had a V6 do something similar as mentioned please help , the guy has lost his job and cant afford to take it to a garage .......

• Sponsors (?)

Check the fuel shut off in the trunk... It's supposed to pop if there's an accident to keep fuel from pouring out and making more of a fire hazard. It's under the carpet on the walls of the trunk kind of behind the driver's side taillight. If the little red button is up press it down and try it again, and let it crank for a while. If that was it the lines need to build up pressure again.

Crai-zy horse said:
Check the fuel shut off in the trunk... It's supposed to pop if there's an accident to keep fuel from pouring out and making more of a fire hazard. It's under the carpet on the walls of the trunk kind of behind the driver's side taillight. If the little red button is up press it down and try it again, and let it crank for a while. If that was it the lines need to build up pressure again.

already checked that too ..... anybody else know more about the crank sensor and if it would cause the car not to fire

Is it not gettin fuel or not getting spark?in your first post you talked like it was a fuel prob..in the second post ,you want to know what would stop it from firing. :shrug: If its a fuel related prob,check the fuses like silentst2000 suggested and also i think they have a fuel pump relay also..and not sure on the yr of the car..but a spark prob could be a crank or cam sensor if it has them also..Its good to check stuff out completely before start replacing parts.That could get expensive.Doin that might be cheaper in the long run for your freind to take his vehicles to a reputable mechanic in the area for repairs.