trying to lower my pony.. help plz

torch93

Aug 14, 2010
bakersfield c.a
hey guys, i was trying to figure out a good measurement for the front and rear what brand, im i good with just the springs or should i get shocks and the whole deal?... i want the nice low look but i dont wanna go too low then get the bumpy ride.. i got 17x9 cobras with 255 in the back... was wondering if anyone can help me out? or post some pics of their rides with the specs of the drop.. thanks :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

i had the eibach pro kit on my '92 convertible with 275s front and back. my car was lowered about an inch. stock shocks and struts. nice stance, mild rubbing on rear quarters on hard turns. ride is stiffer then stock springs. i didnt like them, so i took them off, too stiff for my vert. the top rattled alot, so i put on coilovers. you could always cut the stock springs ive seen alot of people do it including myself

Most any lowering springs are going to make the ride a little rougher, some more than others. Anything labeled "race" or anything that drops the car more than 1.5" is going to be rough. Aim for springs that will lower your car .75"-1.25" or so, when you go lower than that, you're bound to have tire rubbing somewhere.

Keep in mind progressive rate springs offer a more comfortable ride than specific rate springs.

Also, good shocks and struts are key in making the ride more comfortable with lowering springs. Leaving worn out stock stuff in there will make the ride bouncy and rough.

I would avoid cutting springs. There are guys out there who make it work, but it's usually considered "bad practice".

Finally, after you install the lowering springs, be sure to get an alignment!

EDIT: My car has FRPP "B" springs. You can see the stance in my sig.

I have Steeda Sport springs with Energy Suspension poly isolators on mine (about 1 1/4 drop), the ride isnt too bad.
22834760039_large.jpg

Man I'm loving this site! You guys are very helpful... Ima try the 1.5 see how that goes.. Ya my friends tell me to cut but they always hoping like a lowrider haha.. But quick question is the front gonna have the same drop as the back? Or front gonna be a LiL taller than rear to even the car ?

Dont just go in there and hack up the stock coils!!! BAD for the car. I have trimmed a half coil or so off to adjust stance in the past, but there are so many options out there these days, a little bit of research goes a long way!