Tune Backups to CDs..Need computer guru's help

Methodical

Dec 1, 2003
Clinton, MD
I have a question for some of you computer gurus. Being sorta of paranoid, I've decided to save my tunes (good ones) as well some datalogs to CD, via an external CD Writer, as a backup just in case something bad happens that way I have my tunes. First of all let me tell you the type of equipment I am working with: Compaq laptop (Armada M700 dvd rom), an external CD writer (Memorex 52x32x32) and the software is Nero6. Now here is the problem. When I tried to open the files to ensure that I did in saved the files I get the message below. The files are on the CD but would not open:shrug:

Cannot open file Readme.rtf

When I click on "OK" Caledit opens but not to the file that I tried to open. As a matter of fact there is no data until I open a tune from the folders.

What am I doing wrong in trying to save my files? Can someone help me?
I'm at a lost.:shrug:

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I take my tune changes from EA and write them down for two reasons.

1. I have a hard copy of the changes and keep the ones that worked well. I have a folder I keep them in, as well as little stickies stuck on the laptop for quick ref.

2. the reason I started this was to not have to keep going from one program to another to compare...esp. when you have to roll threw some long tables/scalers.

It gets kinda time consuming but I have thought about converting/re-writing them to word docs. and then saving them to a disk that way it can be read on any computer.

Methodical said:
I have a question for some of you computer gurus. Being sorta of paranoid, I've decided to save my tunes (good ones) as well some datalogs to CD, via an external CD Writer, as a backup just in case something bad happens that way I have my tunes. First of all let me tell you the type of equipment I am working with: Compaq laptop (Armada M700 dvd rom), an external CD writer (Memorex 52x32x32) and the software is Nero6. Now here is the problem. When I tried to open the files to ensure that I did in saved the files I get the message below. The files are on the CD but would not open:shrug:

Cannot open file Readme.rtf

When I click on "OK" Caledit opens but not to the file that I tried to open. As a matter of fact there is no data until I open a tune from the folders.

What am I doing wrong in trying to save my files? Can someone help me?
I'm at a lost.:shrug:

Thanks

What operating system? I would just format the CD as a Data CD and drag and drop your tunes into your CD drive from the my computer screen. It should be as simple as that.

Adam

Black95GTS said:
What operating system? I would just format the CD as a Data CD and drag and drop your tunes into your CD drive from the my computer screen. It should be as simple as that.

Adam

The operating system is Windows 2000. I don't drag and drop but I do go add them and then copy them to the CD.:shrug:

I use explorer to see the file with the path of

C:\Program Files\STKR\

Then right click the file in the right window pane which is the one I want to save

Then click copy

Then I paste it on a floppy

Many ways to skin this cat and thats how I do it :shrug:

btw ... saving your latest file on a regular basis is wise :nice:

Grady

final5-0 said:
I use explorer to see the file with the path of

C:\Program Files\STKR\

Then right click the file in the right window pane which is the one I want to save

Then click copy

Then I paste it on a floppy

Many ways to skin this cat and thats how I do it :shrug:

btw ... saving your latest file on a regular basis is wise :nice:

Grady

Thanks fellas for the input.

Grady have you tried to open your save files? If so do you just double click and the file open. Just trying to understand why mine gets the the can't open error message.

Thanks

Methodical said:
Thanks fellas for the input.

Grady have you tried to open your save files? If so do you just double click and the file open. Just trying to understand why mine gets the the can't open error message.

Thanks

I can only speak for my old Win98se pc.

Yes I can open them in Explorer but I first had to build the file association thing-a-bob doo-hicky for CalEdit files to make em work like that.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

I know what I'm talkin about but not sure I can splain it good enough for you to relate to what I'm talkin about :rlaugh:

This happens to me a lot since I've had no fromal computer training ......so ...... I don't always know the correct term to use to describe stuff :bang:

Grady

final5-0 said:
I can only speak for my old Win98se pc.

Yes I can open them in Explorer but I first had to build the file association thing-a-bob doo-hicky for CalEdit files to make em work like that.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

I know what I'm talkin about but not sure I can splain it good enough for you to relate to what I'm talkin about :rlaugh:

This happens to me a lot since I've had no fromal computer training ......so ...... I don't always know the correct term to use to describe stuff :bang:

Grady

I know the the feeling. Shaker2 over at EECtuning suggested I use a jump drive or as he termed it a thumb drive, which I happen to have. So I will try that method.

Thanks

Methodical said:
I know the the feeling. Shaker2 over at EECtuning suggested I use a jump drive or as he termed it a thumb drive, which I happen to have. So I will try that method.

Thanks

The thumb drive is most definately the easiest and best way to go. You can't beat the ease and compatability of USB. Plus for like 20 bones you can get enough space to store 1000 tunes. :nice:

If you take Grady's method, instead of saving it to the floppy drive, select with the cd drive (providing you have a proper CD-R or CD-RW) or the thumb drive, and you're all set.

Adam