Tune Or Chip

Phsyco

Mar 6, 2016
Hey all,
Cane someone tell me what the difference between a tune and a chip. Can you tell me the prices between both of them and how to install a chip or a tune.
Anyways Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

A good four bank switch chip will allow 4 tunes. For instance you can have a stock tune, a gas mileage tune and a performance tune. Some put a valet tune on it too to keep someone that isn't the owner from hot rodding it. Those "chips" you see on eBay are garbage. Stay for away from them. They do nothing for you. A Jet chip is similar to the 4 bank chip but it will have one tune loaded on it.

You can also upload a tune to the ECM. Your computer brain. That is usually done with a good person who knows what they are doing and is done on a dyno or street.

Another option is a handheld tuner. Most sellers will upload a standard tune for your modifications. I don't recommend one for a lightly modded car as it won't do a lot for you. If your goal is some moderate mods then it can help bring them altogether.

SCT X4 can be picked up for about $330-$400 on eBay but make sure if you buy a used one that it is NOT married. Also depending on your mods a guy at SCT personally told me that their stock tunes will not work well with your car if you're modded past a certain entry point (as I aparently am).