Turn left, hear a roar from right front.....

Bobert

May 18, 2005
Just got an 89 GT and it's got some problems that need adressing.

Don't hear anything at stand still, but when I turn left while cruising down the road (haven't heard it at slower speeds, only at higher speeds) I hear a roaring sound coming from the right front.

Wheel bearing maybe?

There's also some kinda of squeking coming from the right front. I can just push down on the front end and hear it. Also hear it while turning at slower speeds.

Gotta love a fixer upper :doh:

• Sponsors (?)

sounds just like a wheel bearing. or tire rubbing. here are some facts,

wheel bearing noises get louder with speed, and when a load is applied, so, when you turn left, the weight of the car shifts to the right wheels putting a load on the bearing. as far as the squeeking, could be many things, controll arm bushings, shocks, sway bar etc, lube them or check for cracks, faulty bushings, good luck.

Raginstang said:
sounds just like a wheel bearing. or tire rubbing. here are some facts,

wheel bearing noises get louder with speed, and when a load is applied, so, when you turn left, the weight of the car shifts to the right wheels putting a load on the bearing. as far as the squeeking, could be many things, controll arm bushings, shocks, sway bar etc, lube them or check for cracks, faulty bushings, good luck.

Thanks. Sounds like it must be the right wheel bearing. I think the squeeking sound was from the heat shield for the brakes that just need some friendly persuading ;)

is it lowered?

if ya running not enough negative camber, and the car is way low, the wheel can rool out at the top, and hit the fender, makes a hell of a noise. check the inside lip on your right fender...... mine does this with anything less than 1* of negative camber.....
other thought:
jack it up, spin the wheel. listen for wheel bearing noise..... grab at the top, and bottom of wheel, and move in and out....check the lower ball joint....if not play there, but wheel has play, it is in the bearing.

good luck

nosmatt said:
is it lowered?

if ya running not enough negative camber, and the car is way low, the wheel can rool out at the top, and hit the fender, makes a hell of a noise. check the inside lip on your right fender...... mine does this with anything less than 1* of negative camber.....
other thought:
jack it up, spin the wheel. listen for wheel bearing noise..... grab at the top, and bottom of wheel, and move in and out....check the lower ball joint....if not play there, but wheel has play, it is in the bearing.

good luck

Stock springs. I'll jack it up and play with the wheel. Should it have absolutely no play if I try to move it in and out?

This car has supposedly never been wrecked, but there's something funky going on on the right front. The brake heatshield was a little out of place. The right front fender looks a little pushed out compared to the door. The roaring noise is coming from that side. Maybe just coincidences.

ps, didnt you used post on the Corral a lot?