Twin Turbo 2016 Gt Drag Strip Launch Question

malex94

Oct 4, 2016
So I took my mustang to the drag strip for the first time. It is twin turbo'd on Mickey Thompson Drag Radials running 780 horsepower to the tires. First two runs were in Track Mode only - I would launch at over 5000 rpm both times and it would complete fall on it's face like the computer was freaking out. Those two times were almost 3 second 60 foot times because it took forever to get full throttle back (eventhough I had it floored the whole time). I then tried again, but this time I was in Track Mode and then I also turned Advanced Trac off by holding down traction control button for 5 seconds. This time I burned the tires off and never recovered from spinning so bad. Has anyone else noticed this when launching from a stop? Does everyone turn Advanced Trac off at the drag strip to get a good launch or to launch from a higher rpm? You would think Track Mode would let you spin. Has anyone tried launch control with this much horsepower under boost?

• Sponsors (?)

I think the reason it fell on it's face and took you almost 3 seconds to recover is you gave it way too much throttle at launch. Try launching at a much lower rpm. Start low and work your way up until the trac control starts to interfere, then back it down about 100 rpm, that would be your optimum launch rpm. Trac control and advance trac can be your friend as long as you don't over power it.

After you find your optimum launch rpm, try experimenting with the tire pressure, lower is better on the rear and higher is better on the front. Also play with the trac-control and advance trac, try different combos of them on or off and see what works best for your setup

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Stick car or Auto car? What was the mph on the aborted runs? Suspension mods at all? Who has done the tuning? More info on the turbo setup too please!

Depending on a few of the answers above we should be able to get you sorted out. There is a fuse you can pull under the hood that will turn the advance trac off for certain, there is some function of torque management that happens especially with the stick cars that doesn't turn off completely with the advance trac buttons. We have to remove this particular fuse on every S550 that we dyno with a power adder. I'll be out in my shop tonight and will make a point to take a picture

Stick car or Auto car? What was the mph on the aborted runs? Suspension mods at all? Who has done the tuning? More info on the turbo setup too please!

Depending on a few of the answers above we should be able to get you sorted out. There is a fuse you can pull under the hood that will turn the advance trac off for certain, there is some function of torque management that happens especially with the stick cars that doesn't turn off completely with the advance trac buttons. We have to remove this particular fuse on every S550 that we dyno with a power adder. I'll be out in my shop tonight and will make a point to take a picture

Sorry for the delay. I never saw a response for some reason. This is stick car and mph was 128 and ran a 12.7 in the quarter mile after the huge bog down at launch. No suspension mods but I am running 18.5 inch wide wheels on front and 10 inch wide wheels with 305s on the back. Boost Performance did the tune and this is a hellion twin turbo kit with 63 or 65 mm turbos (can't remember which one but it is the bigger option) and they are ball bearing. Running meth injection and about 14 pound of boost. Thanks for the help.