Uber 94-95 Restoration List: let's make one . . .

Zero Signal

Feb 24, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Ok, so I've spent the last few days lusting over the thought of a new car and coming to the harsh realization that there's no way in hell I can afford one in the foreseeable future. :rolleyes: Then I got to thinking. What would be the next best thing? A full restoration of the Stang. :rock: Now, I don't mean some super hopped-up, modded and fabbed uber monstrosity. Rather, what would it take to get the car looking, feeling, smelling like it did when it had 10k miles on it and operating as dependably as it did then. Some hop-up parts are obviously welcome. (i.e. why replace with factory suspension when aftermarket cost about as much).

My hope is to have something usefull that we can refer to when it's time to restore some part of our car. Like if I'm doing rear shocks, I might as well check the resto list under "rear suspension" and see what else I can/should take care of!

Help me come up with a comprehensive list of parts/resto things needed to get the car . . . firstly:dependable and secondly:looking perfect again. I'd like to get the list down to the nuts and bolts of what a perfect "restoration" of a 94-95 would entail. I want to stress the 10k miles part because getting to that point would mean replacing the entire car. Lets talk within reason.

Rules
  • Start with a general area if it hasn't already been started, like "Drivetrain".
  • Under each subtopic, try to make the list as detailed as you can.
  • No write-ups, this is just a list. Links to writeups and parts are encouraged, but I will delete links that break (old links).
  • Check the list in this post (I will keep it updated) before you repeat things.
  • Please suggest edits as it grows if you feel it needs it.
  • Keep your items as organized and concise as possible.
  • Don't hesitate to post something generic (like "Rebuild Shortblock") without elaborating if you don't know what it entails. The members will help to create more details which is the point!
  • No maintenance items like change oil, check tire air, check fluids etc. They will work into things like rebuilding shortblock and mount new tires.
  • Don't stress over getting the list looking right. I will do it when I copy items into the original post..
  • Give us a rough cost meter estimate! It never hurts
  • Last but NOT least, please please please try to keep this thread friendly AND on topic. The friendly part won't be an issue here :SNSign:

Cost meter:
$ = $0-$100
$$ = $100-$200
$$$ = $200 - $300
$$$$ = $300 - $500
$$$$$ = $500 - $700
$$$$$$ = $700-$1000
$:eek: = $1000+

Time Meter:
[Enter hourly/day/month whatever estimate here]

Note: Cost meter is assuming that upgrades are close to stock replacement costs. It's only a rough estimate. This list isn't for $1000 fuel pumps and $3000 shortblocks and what not.

Note: Assume a novice pace for the time meter. Normal dude with just the tools required for the job.

I'll start with a couple topics and I will update the list here as it goes. I'll add more later. (I'm at work :flag:)

General Good Practices

- Rust Removal [$][On-Going]
  • Degrease parts
  • Clean rusty parts with a wire wheel and/or brush
  • Paint cleaned parts with color/coating of choice

- Clean Bolts and Threads [$][On-Going]
  • Degrease bolts
  • Clean rusty bolts with a wire wheel and/or brush
  • Run bolts through a die (I like the Harbor Freigh kits, very cheap and effective)
  • Chase/Tap threads (use a thread chaser for most cases)
  • Locktite most bolts (use your judgement when to not use it)
  • Replace bad bolts and screws

- Make sure all screws and bolts in area are tight (including body and interior trim) [$][On-Going]

- Replace all broken interior trim clips [$][On-Going]

Fuel System [$$$$$][Couple Weekends]

- Clean out fuel tank [$$][6 Hours]
  • Replace filler tube seals
  • Replace gas cap (optional)
  • Drop tank, rinse untill all debris is gone (somewhere chemical safe), let dry
  • Replace fuel pump (upgrade!) and wire leads
  • Replace in-tank fuel lines
  • Replace in-tank and in-line filters
- Replace old supply and return fuel lines[$][2 Hours if tank is dropped]
- Replace vapor canister (will lookup real name later)[$][2 Hours]
  • Replace vacuum and vapor lines to canister
  • Replace sensor
- Replace FPS[$][30 min]
- Replace Injectors[$$$][3 Hours]

More later when I get home. I think I will add eye candy to the thread to help make it more interesting and keep people interested. More on that later . . .

• Sponsors (?)