UCA Ball Joint Question

I've been stupid. I bought a pair of ball joints from a US vendor (I'm in the UK) via ebay, and the picture was of a 4 bolt upper ball joint. I didn't read the description properly which states they are 3 bolt.:mad:

The flange that houses the ball joint looks to be universal for both types and is drilled accordingly - can I therefore, bolt up the new joint via the two holes and then scribe and drill the two remaining holes I need? Are the two holes in a common location between the three and four bolt items?

I can't be the first idiot to find themselves in this position?:shrug:

Thanks chaps, be gentle with me.

• Sponsors (?)

I would not recommend that as that arm was not designed for that ball joint and you may impart unexpected stress on it.

I would just chalk it up to experience and order the right parts.

I would not recommend that as that arm was not designed for that ball joint and you may impart unexpected stress on it.

I would just chalk it up to experience and order the right parts.

No, I wouldn't want to do anything other than modify the ball joint to suit the arm - it looks as if it is a common part just drilled accordingly, but until I can get to the car I can't be sure.

I think you're right though - put them on e-bay and start again!

That's the smart approach. Unlike our GM counterparts, our Upper Control Arm carries the car's weight because that is where the spring rests. This makes the upper ball joint the critical component.