Unique Performance in the news

Maybe the state will have a nice big auction and sell all those so called worthless cars. I bet they'll still fetch huge bucks. They're still all Mustangs, Most are fastbacks.
I don't know about that state, Bnickel can probably say. But here is CA, if a VIN is tampered with, that's it. Doesn't matter who's it is, if you can prove what it was, the car gets scraped....Hopefully not the case here.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know about that state, Bnickel can probably say. But here is CA, if a VIN is tampered with, that's it. Doesn't matter who's it is, if you can prove what it was, the car gets scraped....Hopefully not the case here.

I checked the Texas code and found that § 501.033 allows for the assignment of a new VIN by the Texas DOT.

ASSIGNMENT OF IDENTIFICATION NUMBER BY
DEPARTMENT. (a) A person determined by the department or a court
to be the owner of a motor vehicle, a part of a motor vehicle, or an
item of equipment including a tractor, farm implement, unit of
special mobile equipment, or unit of off-road construction
equipment that has had the serial number removed, altered, or
obliterated may apply to the department for an assigned vehicle
identification number.

As you can see, it is possible to get a new VIN in Texas. I can see how UP might be getting non-repairable salvage vehicles and completely rebuilding them from the ground up. However, I have not found anything in the Texas code (yet) that allows them to issue their own VINs. Maybe this is federal law. If UP qualifies as a manufacturer, maybe it can issue its own VINs.