up-dates(it's been awhile) and fuel system advice/opinions

streetgrande69

Founding Member
Nov 2, 2002
Splendora, Tx
A little story then the questions at the bottom….
Yesterday I went to the Hobby Shop on Miramar marine air station.
http://www.mccsmiramar.com/autohobby.html
Wow his place is awesome!! I did my whole transmission swap to an AOD/rack and pinion and suspension there last July. Nothing like working with ase certified help for advice and a full range of tools and lifts, etc.

Anyway, back to the point…

You noticed things when a car is on a lift that you’d normally miss. I noticed I have an exhaust leak at a weld on my h-pipe (easy fix). I also noticed my damn pinion seal is leaking all over, my oil pan on my AOD leaking (striped bolt, need a heli-coil). Rear sway bar is rubbing the vent hose fitting on the rear-end….don’t have a solution for this ….yet. .

But most of all, I saw my rear sway bar had crushed the fuel line in the back of the car. The small rubber hose from the tank to the hard-line was cracking, time to replace. Also my sender doesn’t ever read full, just ¾ full.

So this leads me to my next project……rerunning the complete fuel system. I have a relatively new pump, so it’s staying. What do you guys think of this idea?
Getting a new sender, de-brazing the soft line nipple and in an AN fitting. Running all new stainless to the fender wall where it comes into the engine compartment, going with braided stainless or black nylon soft lint to the pump. From there run more stainless up to the carb, with all a fittings. Sound like a good idea?? I like this article, gonna use it for reference. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2004/12/MoreOfGetInLine/index.php
I don’t have a subscription, so I haven’t read it all yet.

modifiedPickup.jpg

Thanks and sorry it’s so long, I don’t post too many questions/updates on my car, figured it was about time.
Eric

Attachments

• modifiedPickup.jpg
    modifiedPickup.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Sponsors (?)

D.Hearne said:
Just me, but there's not much point in using AN style fittings on a line that's got negative pressure.

Ok, it might be just you? Do you have reason or is that just a whim. Usually an explanation is nice with a simple sentace like that, unless it was just to try to get me to think(good luck with that :rlaugh: ), if it’s just to get me to think. :nice:

The way I see it, it’s just a way of getting a good seal :nice: , not having to worry about the little rubber line :notnice: and a cool factor. :banana: I’m also looking to do a fuel injection conversion sooner or later, so I want system integrity. I don't like the blue/red combination though.

So what’s the real reason you don't like?? :shrug: Or do you have one? :shrug:

Why would you worry about the "little rubber line" :shrug: They DO last for years. And where it's located, no one's gonna see it anyway, unless you plan on running them down first :D But it's your car, if you want to ( IMO) waste time and effort in using AN fittings, that's your call, but you did ask for other's opinions, I just gave mine. :D And what's with the blue/red thing? The fitting colors? If that bothers you, there are other finish fittings available, you just have to look.

The only vacuum at that point should be the weight of the fuel in the pick up, almost nothing. I think Mr. Hearne is saying it is overkill, and I agree. That stuff is not cheap, and would require extra work to use AN fittings there.

brianj5600 said:
The only vacuum at that point should be the weight of the fuel in the pick up, almost nothing. I think Mr. Hearne is saying it is overkill, and I agree. That stuff is not cheap, and would require extra work to use AN fittings there.
I agree, I run EFI and use AN fittings with hi pressure hose, but not on the suction side of the pump. .