Upgrade Suggestions

Stanggrl23

Jan 27, 2018
Pa
Hi everyone I just added a pro charger stage 2 & supercharger to my 2002 GT convertible. I also have a catted off-road x pipe borla stinger dual exhaust cold air intake was recently tuned. Wanted to know what upgrades I should do next any info is appreciated. I was thinking of doing cams & heads but some are telling me it’s not worth it. I’d like to have a deep loud exhaust I don’t race it, it’s a show car. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
Happy to help, providing a little more background on the car will better help me help yourself, e.g. Running the stock drivetrain, what other supporting mod’s are now being run, stock fuel system, etc?
You should be around 400RWHP with an
equal amount of torque at this point.
At this FI level/with this setup (PSI & Volume) Adding high flowing heads will not help you as in a NA scenario, nor will traditional, high overlap/lift Cams.
-John

You could pick up some good power by doing tfs heads, blower cams, long tubes and raising the boost. Problem is that your stock bottom end won't be able to take it. Those upgrades also won't build the power per dollar increase that the blower kit itself did. How much power do you want to get and how much are you willing to spend?

Hi,
Happy to help, providing a little more background on the car will better help me help yourself, e.g. Running the stock drivetrain, what other supporting mod’s are now being run, stock fuel system, etc?
You should be around 400RWHP with an
equal amount of torque at this point.
At this FI level/with this setup (PSI & Volume) Adding high flowing heads will not help you as in a NA scenario, nor will traditional, high overlap/lift Cams.
-John

Thanks for the reply everything else is stock As far as the engine other than what was upgraded in the supercharger kit 60lb injectors & profEsional tune. Has off road x pipe cold air intake borla dual stinger exhaust 160 amp alternator. Running around 8psi

You could pick up some good power by doing tfs heads, blower cams, long tubes and raising the boost. Problem is that your stock bottom end won't be able to take it. Those upgrades also won't build the power per dollar increase that the blower kit itself did. How much power do you want to get and how much are you willing to spend?
At this point I just want a louder deeper sounding exhaust & just make sure I’m not straining the engine. I’d like to make sure everything is done properly. It’s strictly a show car & for me to enjoy in nice weather & weekends. I’ve spent a lot on paint a sound system custom fiberglass enclosure rims/tires ... Money’s not a problem although that’s not what I want to spend everything on I do have other hobbies & an 8 year old daughter that gets it haha. I’m a woman & know a bit about cars but I get lost once internals start getting mentioned just would like to know what I’m talking about. I am also looking into suspension also as the one I currently have is too bouncy

Some pics

Attachments

• E6204962-AD45-4247-9E4A-1D61F33AC3E8.jpeg
    E6204962-AD45-4247-9E4A-1D61F33AC3E8.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 93
  • D2A7CB9F-BB93-4092-8AAD-F7F10D817BA9.jpeg
    D2A7CB9F-BB93-4092-8AAD-F7F10D817BA9.jpeg
    527.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 3FC5104E-F91F-476E-BB4C-BE074C5DC2BF.jpeg
    3FC5104E-F91F-476E-BB4C-BE074C5DC2BF.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 97
  • B0106BA3-447A-4F01-9A13-EBD9DAFB2698.jpeg
    B0106BA3-447A-4F01-9A13-EBD9DAFB2698.jpeg
    491.3 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I’ll address some of the bases..
One concern being is how casual the RMV is regarding inspections where you live.(?).
The volume of these FI systems will have a difficult time producing volume to maintain boost levels that’ll flow anywhere near the capabilities of these heads.
Nothing wrong running TrickFlow 170’s w/ 2.02/1.60 Heads, or AFR’s,..But since you're now compressing the mixture, the stock heads aren’t bad at all.
What are you running for a T.Body?
Long duration blower Cams would add more for gains, if your interested. Pricey. too. The best NA Cams make the worst FI Cams. Why? Overlap.
The valves leaking the precious boost right out of the chambers running typically selected Cams with medium overlap will cause that. If you want a bit more zip, I’d opt for gears. Absolutely the best bang per buck.
3.73’s or 4.10’s will feel like a 75+ HP NOS shot vs stock gears.
Trade off is highway driving mileage. It’s not terribly different, with 5th gear having an 0.68 ratio in your Trans. If you plan long highway trips, I’d opt for 3.73’s, if it’s random highway driving & mostly cruising, 4.10’s.
Ford Racing gears @ LMR...
https://lmr.com/products/mustang-gear-ratio-to-rpm-chart
I’d posted a link for a gear ratio calculator below to see what your car will rev at with different gearing in each gear. Just plug in your #’s....

Parts from LMR including gears, install kit, axle bearings run about 400$. Installed by a good shop specializing in transaxles, it’s between 300-450$ to completion. The Achilles Heel of the 8.8” rear is the axles. Otherwise, it’s stronger than a GM 12 bolt & weighs less. If desired, that’s another 125$, submerged install cost if installed W/gears.
If a loud exhaust is what you seek, that’s easy, but everybody has their own taste. You can jump on American Muscle where they have sound clips of many systems..even YouTube which has every exhaust a proud Ponyowner has posted.
Real loud & sounding great, losing the “drone”, I’d suggest looking at SLP’s Loudmouth, Borla’s Stinger, Pypes Pipe bomb, Roush extreme, there’s so many others. Take a peek (and listen) for yourself...
AM......Try & stick to Stainless.
If You’re also running the fuel pump that came with the kit, I’d supplement the pump with an in-line Boost A Pump, or swap for a Walboro 190-255.
https://lmr.com/item/KB-89069/Kenne-Bell-Boost-A-Pump-Single-40amp
The pumps that come with the Procharger (just) barely keep up with 39lb injectors. I’d also suggest a triple pillar mount Wideband 02 sensor A/F mixture gauge, temp gauge, mechanical oil pressure gauge, out of the way— but crucial for keeping tabs on things..
You’ll need to have your Car re-tuned by adding these, but Longtubes will improve flow on the exhaust side, where you most need it. Shortys require no tune, 02 sensors in the same spot as stock. Bolt up to stock exhaustThey also don’t flow as superb. For FI, they’re not bad.
Hope that helps, for now.
-John

Switching to long tube headers will give a better sound than the stock exhaust manifolds as well as building more power. Should also go with a 75mm t-body, aftermarket upper plenum, Anderson power pipe and sct maf. Will need a custom tune with all those parts. That combination will give some good power and sound gains which might get you to where you want to be. A kenne bell boost a pump should take care of your fuel needs if the supercharger kit came with a larger pump already.

I would also suggest upgrading the suspension and brakes as well as bumping up the rear gear ratio. Shocks, struts, springs, rear upper/lower control arms and remove kicker shocks. Cobra brake upgrade front and rear makes a huge braking difference and looks really good on a show car.

Power and sound are nice but a whole balanced package is much nicer.