upgrading fuel system?

boosted mustang

Jan 3, 2010
heres my question i have a 302 with alluminum heads and anderson cam and gt40 upper and lower. I just installed a master powers t70 and not sure what to do about my fuel system? I have 42lb injectors with mass air, 255lph in tank and stock fuel lines. Will this support my motor or do i need to upgrade to bigger lines and a extra inline pump? Or will what i got work?

• Sponsors (?)

This depends. You dont need a adjustable regulator but it wouldnt hurt. You dont need bigger fuel rails either. Personally I would run it as is see if its running out of fuel up top which is possible then go from there. It might need a inline pump but that is all. No reason to throw out money before you have to.

thanks for the info guys. But you guys really think that the stock lines and 255lph pump will be enough? I would of thought atleast a inline pump if i doent need it that would be great. i just doent want to go to the tuner and run out of fuel at like 300 hp. and have to go back. Im shooting for 500 ponys with like 12 lb of boost. or what ever it i can get out of it. I do have a adj fuel pressure regulator but it is not vac controled. Will that be alright? and rails anybody have any sug.?

A car I did last year had 2 255 pumps, stock lines and rails, 42lb injectors 302 nice set of ported edelbrock heads, novi 2000 c4 w/ brake and went 10.30's all day, and that was a stock short block 140,000 miles!

I still say run what you have now and if needed get a inline pump for it. My car ran out of fuel at about 400 rwhp with a single 255 I added a pusher and got to 475 rwhp. This is with a S trim. A lot of people have made 500ish on a single 255 so it doesnt hurt to try.

It does hurt to try though! You can run rich forever, and lean once! Pow, new motor because it leaned out! Been there done that, not going to let it happen ever again! Better safe than sorry when it comes to fuel

Let me know when you lift a ring land after your wide band fails from getting greedy trying to go faster. Those kind of things always seem to happen at the worst time too.

thanks guys I myself am running a wide band and can moniter it. but you do bring up a good point id rather put up the money on a piggy back pump than put up the money for a new motor because of my own misstakes not catching something. rather be safe than sorry. I think i would like to have the room for improvement than be maked out.

What makes the t rex a pos? just curios, i've never seen a problem w/ any of the installs i've done. What makes the anderson pump any better? I've done a few low 10 sec street cars w/ t rex pumps and never had a bit of trouble.

My tuner has had a few of them fail and actually not flow what they were supposed to almost creating a restriction. He suggested I try the anderson pump which if I remember correctly flows more and I never had a problem with it. 3 years old and its going on a buddies car now.