Upper door belt line trim advice needed

HighLife7

Oct 22, 2013
Recently acquired a 79’ notchback but it is missing the upper belt line outer trim piec on both sides. I have not been able to locate aftermarket replacements and wondered if anyone had a source. Or what years are compatible so I could look for some off a parts car? Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

This?

No that’s the mid door belt line, I’m referring to the trim piece that runs along the top of the door
705B5023-CBA4-4515-9573-39E4ED9BC25B.jpeg

The ones I linked are 87-93 just to give people a better idea of what you are looking for. My guess is that the early models are longer or something with the different mirror design.

On 87-93 models you would also need the plastic "clips" (for lack of a better word) to insert into the holes we are looking at in your door. The molding slides over those and secures with a set screw on the 87-93 years. I assume that is the same on yours as well.

That’s the piece that rides up against the window, I’m looking for the body trim piece that mounts directly to the door per my picture. Not sure If there is a different name for it.

The more I look at it though it may contain both pieces. I have looked at them before in my search but didn’t get the feel that it was what I needed.

That’s the piece that rides up against the window, I’m looking for the body trim piece that mounts directly to the door per my picture. Not sure If there is a different name for it.

The more I look at it though it may contain both pieces. I have looked at them before in my search but didn’t get the feel that it was what I needed.

Yes, the later model is definitely two pieces, but from looking at the customer picture one their website I think it is potentially all included. You might give them a phone call and see what they say.

@Habu135 - I don't think it is difficult to understand, he is referring to the molding that covers the series of holes on the top of the door. This molding butts up against the "dew wipe" for the window. On our later model foxes the dew wipe is riveted to the door frame and a plastic molding slides over some plastic clips/bushings. The early model appears to be of a slightly different design.

Spoke to CJPony parts and that is the window trim only and they do not carry the door trim piece. He did say he thought that 79’-82’ would be the same trim piece. So still hunting.

112.jpg

So here is a correct Pace Car picture of the missing molding.

And another view...

pace-car-door-1030x687.jpg

So, yes, it looks like you are correct. Unfortunately, it looks like you will have to find something on the used market. Keep checking craigslist and ebay, especially for people parting out.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an ‘86 that’s been aero nosed, and frenkensteined with a bunch of newer parts. When I had my door moldings off to paint, the drivers side was secured with one screw and some black “butyl” type stuff along the bottom of molding. The passenger side had one screw, slide it back, and it came right off the clips that were fastened to the top of the door.
I’m not sure if my driver side was just half a$$ed or if that was the 79-86 style. But, I’m thinking if you get the 87 and up, along with the clips, you can rivet or screw the clips on and attach as they did with the newer ones.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-20934PR/87-93-Mustang-Outer-Door-Belt-Molding-Pair

I don’t think it will look right without also swapping the mirrors because they slot into them on the 87-93 cars. They also won’t match the quarter glass molding like the 79 pace car that I posted above does.

You may be right, as I’m looking at that picture closer. My car also had the rear quarter windows changed to the 87 up versions. I guess thats why they changed the door moldings too. That answers my questions on the guy that decided to just glue down my drivers one!! Half a$$ed it for sure.
Good luck finding those moldings. Hopefully they’ll be in one of LMR’s new product emails soon.

Post #5 is the exterior window felt/seal.
Post #4 is what mounts to those open holes. You will also need the clip kit. Those get riveted to the door, then the trim attaches to the clips.
You have '87-up doors on that car, so you will need trims to go with those years. What do your mirrors look like? Are they the '79-'86 or '87-up mirrors? I'm not sure of the interchangeability of moldings/mirrors.
Another thing you could do is to fill those holes, whether its welding them up or another method and run the correct '79-'86 window felt. The '79 pace car pictured above is correct for the moldings. They did not have the second trim piece outside of the window felt.

Thanks for the input so far. Here is a bit closer pic of the mirror style, I don’t see the place where the trim clips in to the mirror like I have noticed in a couple replacement videos with the newer style trim. Am I right to assume these are the 79’ style mirror.
BTW the interior door latches are down near the bottom front of the door doesn’t that mean it’s a 79’ door? Thanks

Attachments

• 9D53B236-C010-403E-B52B-076DA17850D9.png
    9D53B236-C010-403E-B52B-076DA17850D9.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 255
BTW the interior door latches are down near the bottom front of the door doesn’t that mean it’s a 79’ door? Thanks

Those would be 79 doors then. I looked back at your pic of the door edge again and it looks strange (only glanced and saw the holes before, but never looked closely at them). On '87-up doors, there only five holes for the trim, four 1/8" and one larger one at the rear for the trim. You have six holes. Haven't seen that before. I've never seen a trim piece next to the window felt on the earlier cars before. Maybe someone drilled them to put that trim on and wrecked the clips and quit there?