Upper Radiator Hose 27 Inch Radiator

85rkyboby

Mar 2, 2011
South ATL
Hi guys,

I have a Griffin 27 inch radiator with a flexible metal upper radiator tube. I can't get the metal hose to seal good. It's like the rubber on the ends of the hose is to thick for the for the screw on hose clamps. The clamps come loose/leak after just a little bit of driving. I tried swapping the hose clamps and it didn't help. I need to figure out a way to make a hose that will fit. If anyone knows of a upper hose that will be a direct fit or with minor tweaking, that will help. I can post pictures of the setup if that helps.

Thanks,
Garrick A.R.

• Sponsors (?)

What metal hose are you using and what diameter. The stock upper hose is 1.5". This is ghetto but if you have an old bicyle or inner tube , cut a piece down and slide it over the upper radiator hose opening on the radiator. It may provide enough of a seal between the hose and the metal tube.

SUM-390148-B_xl.jpg It's this one which is stainless steel. You can't really tell by the picture but those black rubber adapters are pretty thick.

View attachment 112985

"It's pretty to look at, but hard to live with" That sounds like some women I know...

I have a difficult time imagining how that would seal at all.
Ha-ha exactly right! I got it though. I just bought a regular radiator hose and cut it up to use as the rubber ends. She's holding so far. I think it was leaking because of two things. 1.) The rubber connectors that come with that SS hose are "tougher" than standard rad. hose. 2.) The clamps that come with the hose kit are junk! They break when you barely try to tighten them down.

I'm not to sure if #1.) makes much of a difference, with the hose being "tougher". I think it probably had more to do with #2.)

Thanks again guys!