V6 Exhaust Resonance Annoyance Tips?

echo7

10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
FL
Since I had a custom job to mount my GT mufflers and run a second pipe to make it dual exhaust, I've replaced the GT takeoffs with some SLP Loudmouths for a GT. :D

Anyone have any tricks on getting rid of resonance (drone) at certain RPM's? I was to expect some, but any tricks to get rid of the rest would be nice.

I'll try to get my YouTube updated with the sound of these SLP Loudmouths too so you can compare it to my videos with no Mufflers on at all. Not sure yet if i'm going to get sick of them or even if the sound is good. Can't really tell if it's good or ricey.

• Sponsors (?)

Since I had a custom job to mount my GT mufflers and run a second pipe to make it dual exhaust, I've replaced the GT takeoffs with some SLP Loudmouths for a GT. :D

Anyone have any tricks on getting rid of resonance (drone) at certain RPM's? I was to expect some, but any tricks to get rid of the rest would be nice.

I'll try to get my YouTube updated with the sound of these SLP Loudmouths too so you can compare it to my videos with no Mufflers on at all. Not sure yet if i'm going to get sick of them or even if the sound is good. Can't really tell if it's good or ricey.

you have 2 options;

replace the boomtubes with something that has baffling to squelch some of the drone.

or buy some dynamat and insulate yourself from the drone.

The V6 drones, so does the V8 with straight thru mufflers or muffler deletes.

Thanks Ken!

The cool apart about the drone though, is that it's not doing it while cruising 55-70mph (which would be highly annoying) so I think i'll be keeping them on for awhile.

Would extra mounts to the frame/body help eliminate vibration and thus drone? or no?

Thanks Ken!

The cool apart about the drone though, is that it's not doing it while cruising 55-70mph (which would be highly annoying) so I think i'll be keeping them on for awhile.

Would extra mounts to the frame/body help eliminate vibration and thus drone? or no?

you're lucky your drone isn't at freeway speeds, extra body mounts won't help, it's not a rattle. It's sound vibrations that aren't cancelled by any baffling in your exhaust system. Spend some $$$ on some dynamat or a comparable product. Line the trunk, under the rear seat, maybe your doors and transmission tunnel if you're feeling extra ambitious. The exhaust drone reverberates on the sheet metal sections of your car. Insulating yourself from that will help immensely. I saw some on sale at Jegs, enough to do most your rear end would be $100-ish.