Valve Cover Oil Leaks?

sveet

Founding Member
Jun 8, 2002
Snow Belt!
My '02 GT has about 5K miles on it and I have always noticed that after it sits for a week or so, it is fairly common to get a bit of oil smoke from the engine after it starts to warm up.

I don't really notice it much in the summer because I drive it more and I assume that the drips fall when I am in motion and probably never notice.

It is in the winter that I notice it because I start the car and let it run for 20 minutes or so once a month. No driving since the roads are salted. I then smell oil smoke in the garage.

I did some searching in the engine compartment and found oil accumulated on the bottom back edge of both valve covers, when viewed with a mirror. The drip falls right on the exhaust manifold and smokes.

Anybody else ever notice this?

I still can take it in under warranty, but I have real concerns that a dealership can regasket both valve covers, on a black car, without royally messing up the paint on my fenders.

• Sponsors (?)

I've heard this before. most mechanic's put magnetic cover gaurds down so they dont scratch fenders. besides it's not like it's going to scratched. something you don't really have to worry about. i put new gaskets on and i didn't even come near scratching my fenders.