• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Valve Covers

  • Thread starter Thread starter rotorhead22
  • Start date Start date Mar 7, 2021

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Mar 7, 2021
#1
  • Mar 7, 2021
  • #1
Has anyone sanded down their valve covers? Mine is really pitted from factory casting marks. I have a friend who has a dip/paint tank however these covers are still rough after several sandings.
 

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Mar 7, 2021
#2
  • Mar 7, 2021
  • #2
Forgot pix
 

Attachments

  • F4067230-3E71-4BB4-BEAC-C15758D5053B.webp
    295.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 11F55BCA-1568-4488-8584-A10DB1288AD5.webp
    302.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 84018F12-2C86-4262-B34F-F3E8A903CFEA.webp
    462.8 KB · Views: 179

Steel1

Mustang Master
Aug 18, 2017
1,419
639
143
Connecticut
Mar 8, 2021
#3
  • Mar 8, 2021
  • #3
I would clean them up really good with Dawn dish soap and water , then some prep cleaner and try a few coats
of high build primer , see what they look like after that.
 
Reactions: 96pushrod

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
3,958
2,939
153
Long Island, NY
Mar 8, 2021
#4
  • Mar 8, 2021
  • #4
I used the exact process that @Steel1 suggests. I wasn’t too concerned with the minor pitting, but getting them clean can’t be understated....... edit: ehhhh I mean overstated!







 
Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
Reactions: General karthief, Steel1 and rotorhead22

96pushrod

I think they're a little easier to get off
5 Year Member
May 15, 2018
1,530
872
133
Savannah
Mar 8, 2021
#5
  • Mar 8, 2021
  • #5
Steel1 said:
I would clean them up really good with Dawn dish soap and water , then some prep cleaner and try a few coats
of high build primer , see what they look like after that.
Click to expand...
This.

I did a set in black a year or so ago and this was all I did. High build and some sanding blocks work great.
 
Reactions: Rdub6 and Steel1
M

mostsmooth

Active Member
Nov 12, 2002
270
26
29
Mar 8, 2021
#6
  • Mar 8, 2021
  • #6
i tried this not too long ago and they look like crap right now and i am fairly certain it is because what i thought was clean wasnt actually clean. if i were to do it again (which i want to do) i would spend much more time making sure they were super clean. i mean, they looked clean, its not like i left globs of oil on them or anything, but i didnt go to the next level i dont think.
 

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Mar 8, 2021
#7
  • Mar 8, 2021
  • #7
I definitely degreased the brighter one with Dawn then Simple Green. I’ve smoothed out the rough areas and found some two part epoxy in my paint cabinet. That might be overkill I’ve been watching too many car shows
 

Attachments

  • 939E7CDC-5F48-4185-B293-5DBC01EA2069.webp
    226.8 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: LATT5133, Rdub6 and General karthief

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
3,958
2,939
153
Long Island, NY
Mar 8, 2021
#8
  • Mar 8, 2021
  • #8
If I remember, once I did the Dawn treatment, I used Acetone on a paper towel until it came back clean.
Keep cleaning until you think it’s good, and then do a little more.
 
Reactions: General karthief

Wayne Waldrep

Before I post a pic, do you have one of yours?
20+ Year Stangneter
Apr 14, 2003
1,338
659
143
Cuba, AL
Mar 8, 2021
#9
  • Mar 8, 2021
  • #9
I put a set in a parts tumbler once. They came out really smooth. I still have them packed away. All they needed after that was paint.
 
E

Exrace89GT

Member
Mar 29, 2019
90
16
18
Lompoc, CA
Mar 9, 2021
#10
  • Mar 9, 2021
  • #10
When your wife is not looking, put them in the dish washer.
 
Reactions: rotorhead22 and General karthief

KRUISR

10 Year Member
Apr 16, 2015
1,861
998
143
Mar 9, 2021
#11
  • Mar 9, 2021
  • #11
I painted a my originals...



Original condition, then after sanding (and using as overspray protector), then after multiple coats of engine paint.




Then picked up a set with less corrosion and polished them.



Hand sanded to 800 or 1000 grit, further sanded to 2000 grit and one polished and finally both polished
 
Reactions: Potomus Pete, Kabuki_notch, Rdub6 and 2 others

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Mar 12, 2021
#12
  • Mar 12, 2021
  • #12
KRUISR said:
I painted a my originals...



Original condition, then after sanding (and using as overspray protector), then after multiple coats of engine paint.




Then picked up a set with less corrosion and polished them.



Hand sanded to 800 or 1000 grit, further sanded to 2000 grit and one polished and finally both polished
Click to expand...
Nice
 
Reactions: Potomus Pete
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Help ID - Turbo GT, SVO differences
  • aldoelmalo
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
157
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 2, 2026
aldoelmalo
A
J
Valve cover leak
  • joetiii
  • May 13, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
349
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 14, 2025
General karthief
A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
14
Views
430
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sep 26, 2026
AlexM556
A
C
C4 trans help needed
  • CPH89LX
  • Apr 26, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
291
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 28, 2026
CPH89LX
C
L
2003 mustang v6 3.8 fuel issue
  • lacole1
  • Jul 20, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
146
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jul 26, 2026
apple99Mustangdude
A
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?