Valve Stem Seals And Spark Plugs

First5.001

May 26, 2016
My Fox burns about a quart every 2 weeks. The po said he put the GT40P heads on but didn't do the seals, car started smoking after the swap.... If he touched anything else on the car there was lots of back yard mechanic hacking...So I'm not sure if he's telling the truth or bsing. Anyhow, I'm doing the Holley systemax intake and figure while is apart I'll throw seals in it. Found the recommended positive lock style seals on rock auto. What's the best way to go about this? I was thinking of the rope trick, pull the plugs, get it before tdc, stuff clothes line in the cylinder, bring it up, remove springs, install seal, repeat etc...

Also what spark plugs do the GT40P heads use?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

If the heads have got any sort of mileage on them at all, you may be in need of valve guides as well. On top of that, the valve job that the Explorer GT40's were saddled with was marginal at best. Finally, the stock Explorer valve springs suck and should be upgraded immediately.

Quite honestly, if none of these points have been addressed prior to bolting them on, then you'd be best picking yourself up a set of head and intake gaskets and removing the top end to adress these issues. The valve job and guide replacement "must" be done on the work bench and valve springs and seats sure are a whole lot easier to replace there as well.