Versailles Disc brake options

golf4283

May 30, 2003
Orland Park, Illinois
so I just purchased a Lincoln Versailles 9 inch for my mustang. I want to know some opinions about how to do the brakes as they will need to be redone. I have a couple options.

1) go with original equipment which is getting pricey these days.

2) I have a set of disc backing plates off an explorer rear-end and I was wondering if those would fit as the parts would be a bit cheaper (the plates are off a 96 explorer)

3) I also have a set of backing plates off of a 90's crown vic that I heard might bolt up. Any suggestions please let me know.

I just want something that wont be too pricey down the road.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

ssbc makes a disc kit that fits, depending on the year of rear you have, I believe mustang steves kits also fit some rears as well. I have been thinking about doing that at sometime but my versailles has all new everything and not in the car yet.

I've been checking this post as well to see what others say.......anyone else?

I have a Granada disc rear (same as your) and I think the Mustang Steve or the Ultrastang kits will work. I was able to get reasonable priced replacement parts from Schucks. I think the rebuilt calipers were less than $100 each and pads around $30. The conversion to cobra rear brakes are only about .35" larger discs. I think the calipers are much better though. My suggestion and the conclusion is just use the brakes you have an rebuild them. Use the money to convert the front discs to mustangsteve.com cobra brakes. That is where most of your stopping power comes from anyways.

If it gets to expensive to buy replacement parts down the road then do a conversion when there may be more options available.

the explorer discs should work just fine one the versailles rear and they have the same 5x4.5 pattern as the mustang, only trucks amd big 70's cars had the truck bolt pattern and not even all of the trucks, for instance my dad's old 81 f-100 had the 5x4.5 as do all rangers and explorers

ok thats good to know, my backup plan if the calipers on this versailles are bad is to go with the explorer setup. I'm not racing this thing or anything so discs is really overkill anyway, but hey, it looks cool behind some nice bullitt rims.

I just got my calipers, and rotors from partsamerica.com, Raybestos Rotors (USA), and Loaded Calipers (rebuilt in USA and only $30 for core), Seemed like they had the best prices (and I couldn't complain about the quality). Calipers were $87 and $81 (RC4093, and RC4094), Rotors were $47 each (6045 and 6047). Also Free shipping. Had to have custom hoses made though ($100 total for braided stainless hoses)