Vert Question.....Rear Window Calling Vert Experts....

93 LX

Founding Member
Jun 2, 2000
Norwalk, CA.
Hello,

I have a 86 Vert with a plastic rear window. The top needs replacing for sure and that will be part of the resto project. In the mean time my daughter drives the beast and I would like her to see out the back window. Does any one know if i can just replace the plastic window with glass or even a new plastic window without replacing the top? I see they sell them apart from the top. Can you help?

• Sponsors (?)

it can be done, but is a lenghty process that requires removing and then re-attaching part of the top. If you are getting a new top then I would hold until then to get it replaced.

Hello,

I have a 86 Vert with a plastic rear window. The top needs replacing for sure and that will be part of the resto project. In the mean time my daughter drives the beast and I would like her to see out the back window. Does any one know if i can just replace the plastic window with glass or even a new plastic window without replacing the top? I see they sell them apart from the top. Can you help?

Yes you can but I would have a canvas shop install it for a permanent replacement. The glass is expensive as comes bonded to the same color fabric. About $160 + shipping from mustangsunlimited.com

I have a spare new BLACK cloth plastic window with zipper for my 84 that should fit your 86. (I have a glass window now.) As 83-90 are listed the same. Cost new $75 + shipping.

You can have it for $35 + shipping. Saves me running it thru ebay. I can send a pix so you can see it's new with no scratches and never been used.

A new top installed (by pros) runs about $800 - $1000 with a new glass window. A top by itself only costs $160+ shipping without installation + rear window costs.

THE CHEAP fix is to get the plastic polish from "Kit" Scratchout or I think Meguires has one too. Lasts along time. I use it on my bike windscreen too.

I "fixed" all the windows in my old Jeep with that stuff. Unzip the window and support it underneath with a towel and your hand when you "polish" it using light pressure or the plastic will stretch and blur badly. Done carefully a 6" area at a time it's a fantastic repair on the cheap which lasts a couple years with decent vision thru it.

You can get the rear window installed by any canvas boat shop for a nominal amount if the top is still good. Call around. Pick their slow season which is normally the boating time summer. Winter they're busy.

I have a spare new BLACK cloth plastic window with zipper for my 84 that should fit your 86. (I have a glass window now.) As 83-90 are listed the same. Cost new $75 + shipping.

You can have it for $35 + shipping. Saves me running it thru ebay. I can send a pix so you can see it's new with no scratches and never been used.

I would like to get the plastic window for now.. email me [email protected]

THE CHEAP fix is to get the plastic polish from "Kit" Scratchout or I think Meguires has one too. Lasts along time. I use it on my bike windscreen too.

I "fixed" all the windows in my old Jeep with that stuff. Unzip the window and support it underneath with a towel and your hand when you "polish" it using light pressure or the plastic will stretch and blur badly. Done carefully a 6" area at a time it's a fantastic repair on the cheap which lasts a couple years with decent vision thru it.

The Window has a cut in it so I would like to get it replaced.

Allen