Very bad vibration in shifter at higher RPMs in any gear

GUNNER81

Apr 27, 2022
Wisconsin
I have a 1987 Ford mustang GT Foxbody 302 block made into a 347 stroker and a T5 transmission. I hade to change the rear main seal due to a leak and ever sense I replaced the rear main I have had a very violent shake in my shifter handle at higher RPMs I have had tires balanced drive shaft balanced new crossmember mounts new tranny Mount new motor mounts new throw out bearing but still it vibrates at high RPMs anybody know why thank you for your time and help

Attachments

• IMG_20231102_175344271.jpg
    IMG_20231102_175344271.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20231102_175552620.jpg
    IMG_20231102_175552620.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Sponsors (?)

Seems like you got it all the suspected stuff covered, what rpm does it start to act up? Will it do it free revving in neutral, sitting still?
It starts vibrating only driving at higher RPMs in any gear, there is no vibration sitting and idling but there is vibration when you are sitting still and you rev the car up then you'll start to get the vibration

Sounds like an engine balance issue. Remove trans and double check everything. Did you change the flywheel or clutch while it was apart?
Yeah that's what I thought too but it's a balanced motor to harmonic balancer and flywheel are balanced and no I didn't change anything but the rear main seal everything else was good as far as the clutch and flywheel

Sounds like you tried everything so far, but you can remove the trans again, take the clutch,pressure plate off and see if it helps.
If not then remove and check the flywheel , maybe swap it out.,since that's when it started.
You can also check the balancer,see if outer ring moved. Just a couple of things it might still be.

Reactions: 1 user
Ahh, let me say that I would make sure my firing order is correct
when you are sitting still and you rev the car up then you'll start to get the vibration
that will just cross that off, and the balancer, as mentioned above, is another to check, the problem is apparently in the rotating assembly between the fan and the trans :shrug:
Before I pulled the trans I would re-check everything on the engine but that's me :shrug:

Can you confirm that the clutch disk is oriented correctly --and-- was a clutch alignment tool used during installation?

Last thing: Can you confirm that there are no gaps in the mating of the engine and bell housing and also the bell housing and trans (whichever was disassembled).

I gotta ask just for :poo:es and giggles, you didn't mention changing pilot bearing, soo did you ?
If it's worn the trans input shaft will wobble at high rpms.
You have been given a whole lot to check out so start with easy and keep going till you fix it.
Please let us know when you call bingo,got it, fukin A.

I gotta ask just for :poo:es and giggles, you didn't mention changing pilot bearing, soo did you ?
If it's worn the trans input shaft will wobble at high rpms.
You have been given a whole lot to check out so start with easy and keep going till you fix it.
Please let us know when you call bingo,got it, fukin A.
Yes it's new thanks for trying to help

Can you confirm that the clutch disk is oriented correctly --and-- was a clutch alignment tool used during installation?

Last thing: Can you confirm that there are no gaps in the mating of the engine and bell housing and also the bell housing and trans (whichever was disassembled).
Yes the clutch is facing the right way and a alignment tool was used to align clutch with pressure plate. No gaps anywhere bell housing is brand new also I am ordering a new flywheel clutch and pressure plate these are the only parts that have been replaced with new but seem to be like new thanks for trying to help

You may want to check the index the bell housing. Usually not needed with stock bell housings but it’s a thought. Have you checked the end play on the input shaft on the transmission?