Vibration on take off, terrible on inclines

merc123

Jan 27, 2003
North GA
I have a new transmission, FRPP rear end and Fidanza 2.1 clutch. Before it didn't do this.

1. On a slight normal take off the car has a slight fibration. I can't really tell too much where it is.

2. On a quick take off it vibrates the entire car and violently shakes the gear shifter. I'd almost think wheel hop with the way it feels.

3. On a normal take off on any sort of incline the vibration is just as bad as #2.

I have about 8,000-10,000 miles on the combo (mostly highway) and I started to notice it about 2,000 miles ago and I'm leaning toward clutch, torque boxes or rear end T-lok?

• Sponsors (?)

I'll also suggest that it's the clutch. I had bought the Fidanza set the same time I bought my aluminum flywheel, and it grabbed great for about a month. After that, it started sounding like a belt sander whenever I would let the clutch out, pedal effort increased greatly, and my 3650 really started developing the cold morning gear grinds.

Guess I'll go back to a stock clutch. You'd expect more out of a $300 clutch. I checked with Fidanza and found this:

LEGAL POLICY
HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS, SERVICE AND INFORMATION EXCLUDED FROM WARRANTY:
Due to the unusual stress placed on high performance parts, and because of the circumstances under which they are often used, high performance parts are sold without warranty, AS IS, WITH ALL FAULTS, and all warranties, expressed or implied, of merchantability, or of fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise are expressly disclaimed and denied.

WARRANTY EXCLUDED
PARTS, SERVICE AND INFORMATION EXCLUDED FROM WARRANTY. FEC DISCLAIMS ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR COMMERCIAL LOSSES, INCLUDING LABOR CLAIMS from use of this mrchandise or services. Due to the unusual stress placed on high performance parts, and because of the circumstances under which they are often used, our parts, and our services associated with them, are sold without warranty, AS IS, WITH ALL FAULTS. All warranties, expressed or implied, of mrchantability, or of fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise are expressly disclaim and denied.

I second the thought on OEM/OEM equivalent clutches, especially for a bolt on GT. My current clutch has about 90k miles on it and still seems to work great. In fact, I can still occasionally hear it bark 3rd gear if I powershift, so obviously it can still grab.

Could also be the flywheel. I have a very high mile stock clutch/flywheel setup and on the first start on a cool day the car will shudder hard as well. I'm banking on the flywheel in my case, as the clutch has slipped a few times while spraying in 3rd and 4th and probably heated it up and warped it a little.

I would look into FRPP clutch kit. Cobra or King Cobra.

It was the pressure plate. The clutch was only grabbing about 3/4" to 1" of the clutch. You could see on the pressure plate fingers where it was skipping some of the fingers and not getting a full on engagement. The TOB was catching the fingers at an angle.