Vin number may be incorrect

I noticed that the VIN on my 65 Mustang only has 11 digits. It’s my understanding that there should be 17. Do I have a problem here? I’m trying to find out what month it was built. I need a heater blower the one I’m looking at is for 65 Mustangs built after 4/65. I have no idea. Any help is appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

11 characters is correct
17 characters did not start until 1981

The VIN will not tell you when it was built. For that you need the date code from the door data plate.

You can get an idea of the time of year it was manufactured from the date codes on the body panels as I'm told they were generally stamped maybe as long as a month prior to assembly. For example mine has a 2 22 2D on the radiator support. Which translates to Feb 22nd, 2nd shift at Dearborn.

There were 2 different heater blower motors used in the first two years of Mustang production. A two wire single speed motor that has a dash switch with 4 positions which are off,low,med,high and a 3 wire motor with two seperate windings which make it a two speed motor built in to it which have a dash switch with 3 positions low.off,high. This information should help you determine which motor that you have and the 3 speed switch/single speed motor type have a 3 resistor bank built in to the heater case facing towards the glove box.