Vinal Top Removal on 66 Coupe

JustinZion

Mar 2, 2004
Hey All, Im about ready to finish up my 4 year long slooow process of rebuilding my 66 stang. Got a nice lookin 302 block in it ( pictures at http://www.essex1.com/people/zion/engine ) Now i know its not original colors and parts, but i wanted something to call my own. Anyways, im going to be going to paint here pretty soon and the car has a black vinal top. I am interested in pulling it off, and painting the whole car red with white racing stripes. I have heard comments saying this would be ok and others that think the body under the vinal would be in bad shape. Has anyone tried this or know what I can expect to find if i try to do this? I dont want to pull of the vinal top ( thats in great shape ) and find that i cant paint over it....any ideas? thanks a lot.

• Sponsors (?)

More then likely, it will have a messed up body under the vinyl. What most auto manufactures did to decided what cars would be vinyl tops and which would be normal was based on how the seem between the roof and the sail panel turned out. This join is soldered together, and if it didn't turn out right, they would cover the top in vinyl instead of trying to fix it. However, not all are like this, but most are. If you do pull the top and find that it is messed up, then all it will take is some body work. You will always be able to paint over it; it's just a matter of how much extra work you will have to do.

-Shaun

I had replaced my original vinyl top in 1994. I can tell you, it wont be an easy task of cleaning up. If you were really lucky, you dont have any Rust holes underneath yours.

I just recently got my old stang back (gave it back to parents after HS) and I am going to go the same route, except I am going to paint my roof gloss black and the body candy apple again.

I replaced my vinyl top back in the 80's and really didn't take care of the rust back then when it was just a few pin holes. I am now in the process of reskining the roof :bang: it ain't fun. I am planning on going back with the vinyl. Cause I think it looks great. I have heard of people using things like bed liner on their roofs, I haven't saw one yet but sounds like it would work :shrug:
Clint