Vintage Mustang Conversion: Carb to EFI

monk302

Founding Member
Apr 18, 2001
New Jersey
I have a 1968 Coupe with a carbed 302. I want to get rid of the carbs and go with a EFI setup but I had a few questions. Now I am under the impression that I want to get a setup from a 89 to 93 since it is mass air. I have a question about the computer though, I have seen a few for sale that are A9P and a few that are A9Ls or something to that degree. What is the difference and which would be the best to put on my classic Mustang.

Oh, and if anyone has a EFI setup they are looking to get rid of let me know.

Thanks everyone.

• Sponsors (?)

Been there, done that on my '68 ranchero way back in '95. You'll need a high pressure fuel system. On the ranch I cut and patched a section of the stangs gas tank that holds the fuel pump into the ranch tank, but you can't do that because the pump would be in the trunk and unsafe. You'll need to route a return fuel line from the engine feeds to the gas tank. For electronics, it's six wire to splice in and away it goes. You'll need a 50 oz balancer and flywheel if you use a late model motor.

You can browse some of the early stang vender sites and get some idea's about the kits that are offered. For processors, the A9L is a five speed setup and the A9P is auto. The auto runs harder on a five speed car, but the A9P doesn't like five speeds on some cars. It's just the calibration.

Jamie

I'd go with the A9L if you know you're gonna run a manual. Also, the cam in your old engine likely has a different firing order than the efi is set up for - the injectors aren't continuous - the squirt sequentially. So you'll likely either have to switch to an HO firing order flat tappet cam, or alter the injector wiring harness so that they're squirting to match up with your non-HO firing order.

Oh - also, sometimes the distributor drive gear and the gear on the cam aren't of compatible materials. You're gonna need an efi/module-based distributor with efi (the computer controls timing) - so with a flat tappet cam, you need to be certain that the materials of the cam gear and dizzy gear are compatible so one doesn't destroy the other.